Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting with pearl
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

With all do respect to astroracer, I would not recommend this procedure. This is an option however, and yes it does work. The problems are several.

#1 Repairability...if your ever involved in a situation where you've been involved in an incident where a repair is necessary, your chances of blending pearl in a catalyzed clear is extremely difficult, even next to impossible. Where ever you have overlap of clear your pearl will be more concentrated and you will end up with a halo effect.
#2 Cost...Adding pearls to a catalyzed clear cost more money even if your using a product like Omni and you can achieve the effect desired without going this route.
#3 Color sand and Buffing...It is possible to color sand and buff but, clear being a product that has a greater mil thickness than base coat when applied, it will take more coats of clear to bridge the flames to allow you to sand out the edge and buff, making it more labor intensive and more costly let alone the possibility of burn through and having to revert back to reason #1.
#4 Errors in application...If you get a run or excessive dirt while apply your "pearl in clear" coat and need to start over, it is much more difficult to fix the problem in the booth when using this method.

These are just a few reasons I would not go this route and create a recipe for disaster as I mentioned in an earlier post. I'm not trying to offend astroracer in any way and I have done exactly what has been suggested by him...I have also learned not to do it that way. With today's products there is no need and the same effects can be achieved easier with less mill build of product and cost.

I love doing Tri-coat paint work and when using the right product it's amazing what can be done. Here is a URL of my last build. It's a tri-coat starting with a blue base and a transparent orange over top, using proper materials and at great cost to the customer. The flames where air brushed in prior to top coating with the transparent orange.

1972 Chevy C-10 Pickup Truck - a set on Flickr

Again, I'm not trying to offend anyone, I'm only speaking from experience and have had to try and repair my work when I have put pearls in clear in the past (distant Past...like over 20 years ago), it is extremely difficult and that is the major reason I don't recommend it.

Take it from an older guy who learned the hard way.

Hope this helps and again no offence to astroracer.

Ray