Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting with pearl
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Hey Ray, points well taken and no issues on my end but I will rebut your comments.
#1 is a moot point. ANY paint work with a pearl additive makes repair work more difficult, Whether it's in the base or clear top coat it will make an SOB of the match job.
#2. Cost was no different then if it was a straight repaint other the the cost for the bottle of pearl powder. That was 15 bucks if I remember right.
#3. The flame pattern was laid down in a very thin coat. When I untaped it I knocked down the edge a little with 800 grit and then simply sprayed on the rest of the top coat. I had to do very little sanding to knock the edge down after it was buried in the final clear coat. Most of the work was done in less then an hour.
#4. Another moot point. ANY paint application with pearl additives will run the risk of errors. Just make sure you don't make any. My truck was sprayed in my garage during a rainstorm. There was no booth and, granted it's not perfect, but the clear topcoat is very sandable without getting into the flame pattern underneath.
In my opinion this is a very good way to go. It was cheap and simple to do with off the shelf paint and no custom mixing.
I will not hesitate to use the same method when I get to the paint stage on my van build. OTHER then shooting a couple of light coats of topcoat to seal the base before I start laying out graphics. I will also be using the pearls and candies from the website I listed in my first post.
Mark