Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting with pearl
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks Mark and I do appreciate what you are saying...I also appreciate that no offence was taken as none is meant or implied. But, I do disagree with you and I guess that's why I love this forum.

#1 is not a moot point. I have tried to repair a paint job I did many years ago with pearl in the clear. It was extremely difficult. If it's in the base coat its a simple blend, if it's a "repair in catalyzed clear with pearl" it's a tri-coat blend multiplied by a factor of at least 4. You would need to lay down base over the repaired area and beyond and then try to blend your catalyzed clear over that area hoping you get an invisible repair and then again using catalyzed clear over top...

Which brings me to #2 cost. Your using an expensive top coat clear as your carrier...it just makes sense that it costs more money.

#3. Even if you put a thin layer down...isn't it thinner with base coat versus a higher bodied clear and don't you want your flame line to be as thin as possible?

#4 Yes any paint product period runs the risk of error. I'm again talking about repairablity in the both. If you get an imperfection in base coat it is easier to repair than an imperfection in clear ...would't you agree?

I'll add #5...If your adding pearl to clear...aren't you custom mixing? Or is there a formula for this from a paint manufacturer (not a web site) that I'm not aware of?

I respect the fact that this is your method of choice and we may need to agree that we disagree. I'm just speaking from many years of experience and hoping to pass on information from past experiences as I am sure you are and I thank you for that.

By the way, I did make a mistake and you where correct...nowhere did the OP say he wanted pearl on the whole vehicle...my bad.

Thanks
Ray