Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting with pearl
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfreak1976 View Post
just fyi, omni does make a mid coat clear, or should i say ppg products. i think the shop is to lazy to order it. or you can over reduce your ppg clear. give one to two mid coats and then wait for full dry. scuff out with grey or finer, if with in 24 hrs no need to scuff, but to tape out and paint and detail air brush flames with in 24 hrs. when your not used to doing it is a over whelming task. thats why i would do a mid coat clear, doing the pearl in the black is a great idea that 69 stated, ive had bad luck with taping directly on fresh base. or you can simply just use the clear mixed normally just do a light wet coat, let dry. tape and go at it . i prefer to over reduce and do a couple of coats seems to give more depth to the paint. everyone does things differently. but i highly recommend the mid coat clear just to protect what you've already done. plus leaves you some wiggle room to take your time on the art work. good luck
Yes Omni does make a mid coat clear and that is the route I would suggest. I would say however that if you have had bad luck taping over fresh base that your base was either not flashed enough or put on to heavy. Base has to be the easiest way to go when taping for a 2 tone or whatever...but excellent post and I thank you for it.