Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting with pearl
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Congratulations in getting your truck painted...It is important to have the right temperature when painting or runs will happen to the best of us. If you got runs in the base, they could be sanded out with a fine grit on paper, I use 600 wet to remove dirt nibs or whatever I don't want in my base. Then just re-base the sanded area and then clear.

Depending on how many runs you have and how severe the hanger's are, you may want to sand them out and re-clear the truck. I can't advise you on this because I can't see the truck or the severity of the runs.

I don't want to alarm you but, if you have runs in your base coat and given that you mentioned a lower than optimal temperature for painting...I hope you left more than sufficient flash time before you cleared it. If proper flash times weren't allowed for and solvents in the base have not all evaporated before clearing they will try and come out even after the clear is cured. This, and I'm not trying to alarm you, could cause the clear to peel in the future. I would let the clear cure through thoroughly and do several tests. Try putting a piece of duct tape over an area where you had a run in the base, apply a significant amount of pressure on the tape and then rip it off quickly, like a bandaide, if the clear stays on, it's a good sign...You may also want to try and pressure wash the truck. If solvents are trapped a cleaning with a pressure washer will take the clear off and you will know that solvents where trapped in the base under the clear.

Again, I don't want to alarm you, I am suggesting these things because I want you to be aware of what could happen and it would be a shame to have you color sand and buff the truck, only to find that the clear won't stay on.

I painted a early 90's Oldsmobile for a friend in his garage many years ago, it was cold outside (-25), and warm inside. He opened the garage door to see what was happening just long enough to shock the base. It felt flashed, it looked good, I cleared the car, put it all back together the next day. First car wash all the clear came off. So temperature is very important.

Best of luck and hope you get that sunny day soon.
Ray

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 11-13-2012 at 07:21 AM.