Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting a Pewter camaro quarter panel
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Have you got a part number on the blender. Most blenders are for blending clear coat. If your using chroma base stepping out your colour shouldn't be difficult. Blending the clear is where some people have issue

For best results prep the entire panel, if your doing the quarter, prep the entire quarter including 3/4 of the way up the sail panel (I use 1000 grit or even finer especially on my clear blend area in this case the sail panel). Get coverage on your repair area allowing for proper flash times. Once you have achieved hiding gently move your colour out in all directions of the repaired area (don't worry about coverage as transparency will give you the illusion of perfect colour match). Clear the entire quarter, blending your clear on the sail panel (this is where I use blender, which is basically a slow slow reducer). With practice you can get away without polishing your blend. Some people add blender to the clear coat only in your blend area, in your case the sail panel, some people use a 2 gun method, one gun with catalysed clear the other with straight blender, apply a coat of clear on the blend area followed with a mist coat of blender until your repair is invisible. Check your tech sheet to see what is recommended by the manufacturer for using the blender in your clear coat.

Hope this helps