Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting a Pewter camaro quarter panel
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird555 View Post
Thanks guys, the part number for the dupont blender is 69301s but I have been looking into the ppg d500 for the color blender like paint dude said. The reason being is that there are so many different variances of pewter it seems to give the best chance of a good blend. Does the blender get mixed into the paint or is it layed on before the basecoat?

I'm planning on clearing the whole panel if that matters its not a big area any way. The dent is right on the bottom of the drivers side in the back behind the tire here the bumper meets the quarter. I'm thinking of returning the dupont and buying ppg base but its so freaking expensive lol. Does anyone know if the blender from ppg can be used with dupont chroma base?

Also just wondering if I get this done correctly will I still be able to notice fairly easily that the panel has been painted or will the blender make for a nice easy transition?
First of all the d500 is sprayed onto the panel after you prep it. I usually reduce it and go past the area that I am doing my colour blend. So to your question, it is not mixed in with the paint, it is put on prior to painting. (D500 IS Awesome for candy colours where you add a dye to it and go over a base coat). If you start with a product line stick with a product line, do not mix PPG with Dupont.

If you do it correctly you should not have a colour issue, however, the clear in your repaired area should be shinier than the rest of the car. This will change after time or you could polish the entire car and no one will know.

Best...Ray