Hot Rod Forum banner

painting plastic bumpers

44K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TorqueJunky 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me a primer on how to paint a new plastic bumper? My last painting experience was about 18 years ago. I only used Dupont products then; lacquer and acrylic enamal with hardner and epoxy primers were just getting popular so I am really behind times. Thanks for any help I receive.

#2 ·
What type of plastic, is it the typical urethane bumper? There should be several threads on here on painting urethane bumpers. Or some other type of plastic like tpo which can be more difficult. Look on backside of bumper and see if you can find any abbreviation for the type of plastic its made of if your not sure what it is.

#3 ·
I do a lot of bumpers, I do them all the same way.

Clean real good with a detergent like "Dawn" or "Joy"
using a gray scuff pad. For extra safety you can follow that
with a wipe down with Wax and Grease Remover.

Scuff real good with a red scuff pad and a sanding paste
like 3M "Scuff-it"

A couple coats of adhesion promoter like "Bulldog"

A couple coats of epoxy primer
I usually go over the epoxy the next day with a scuff pad just
to get it real smooth-but it's not necessary if it's smooth.
(The epoxy really helps fight the rock chips)

then paint as usual. :pimp:

#5 ·
I agree with these guys but if you are just doing the one bumper you can save your money on the "scuff-it" and just use comet and a red scotchbrite pad. Also, most plastic bumpers I do come with primer already on them so I just scotchbrite them with water and scuff it, clean with soap and water, then dry & tack, and then shoot with bulldog. Then comes my base; I shoot 2-3 light, but not dry, coats to get even coverage, and last but not least clear.
Just some quick tips: do not try to get total coverage on your base with the first coat or you will get fisheyes. Also, if it is a plastic bumper with primer already on it I would not use a solvent based wax and grease remover as it could lift the primer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.