Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   painting plastic interior parts (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/painting-plastic-interior-parts-140090.html)

redsag 78 06-09-2008 05:20 AM

painting plastic interior parts

I am painting the plastic interior parts,and have made some mistakes that need to be sanded and repainted. What grit sand paper would be best so not to leave sanding marks in the paint? Thanks

OneMoreTime 06-09-2008 05:37 AM

Really need to know what kind of materials you are using but as a guideline you can study what is used in body exterior as painting interior plastic is not all that much different from painting the outside..

Sam

redsag 78 06-09-2008 06:06 AM

The paint I am using is Krylon, made with fusion for plastic. This is an aeorsol. Thanks

DanTwoLakes 06-09-2008 06:13 AM

In the future, try SEM products for dyeing hard plastics, vinyl and leather. It is very user friendly to the point of being almost foolproof.

OneMoreTime 06-09-2008 06:32 AM

I really doubt if anyone up in Mountain Home carries SEM so Krylon it is...use some 600 or 800 grit to scuff the areas and then recoat..

Sam

DanTwoLakes 06-09-2008 09:33 AM

Here in East Galoshes Corners Wisconsin we get SEM products online! Click Here It's too late to use SEM on the pieces he's got the Fusion on.

When you sand, try not to goof up the grain on the plastic.

OneMoreTime 06-09-2008 10:32 AM

Dan..that is good to know...did not know that..

Sam

alittle1 06-10-2008 09:14 AM

You can always wash the Krylon off with some gun wash and a terry towel and start over again. This time clean it right and use SEM.

esahlin 06-10-2008 09:18 AM

A question on painting interior plastic pieces. Can I scuff them and then apply epoxy primer and then paint with a single stage urethane? Thx.

DanTwoLakes 06-10-2008 10:30 AM

Why paint them, when you can dye them with SEM? No runs, no drips, no errors. You can't believe how simple it is and the quality results you get. Check the link in post # 6. Clean with SEM soap, then clean with Plastic/ leather prep or World class vinyl/plastic prep and then spray with Color Coat aerosol or brush or spray on Sure Coat.

esahlin 06-10-2008 11:42 AM

The reason I wanted to paint some plastic interior pieces with epoxy/urethane is because I already purchased the urethane color and have been using it to paint some of the metal trim pieces and dash panel. So I wanted to see if I could use the same urethane color/epoxy on the plastic parts. Just wondering if epoxy/urethane holds up well on plastic....saving me the step of trying to find a SEM plastic paint that matches closely to my urethane. Its a satin Black color which probably isnt too much of a problem with what SEM has to offer but I just wondered and wanted to save a step. THx.

DanTwoLakes 06-10-2008 12:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
SEM has two colors you could use. Landau Black (#15013), and also Satin Black (#15243). One of those would probably match perfectly. It comes in Color Coat aerosol cans. Once the plastic parts are clean, there is only the top coat to put on, you wouldn't have to prime the parts if you used the SEM. This armrest base out of a '70 Olds Cutlass was done with SEM Landau Black.

esahlin 06-10-2008 01:11 PM

Thank you Dan....Looks very nice and is the color I am looking for. Sounds easy to use so I will give SEM a try.

DanTwoLakes 06-10-2008 01:26 PM

I promise you that you will be happy with the results. It can't be any easier. The only thing you need to remember is to clean the plastic parts until water does not bead up on them. Check out SEM's web site HERE for step by step instructions.

Dusty82 06-10-2008 01:58 PM

Also be aware that if you are equipped to spray the SEM products yourself, most suppliers can custom match colors for you. You have to buy a quart minimum in most places, but that's no biggie. Just take a sample of the material/metal you're trying to match with you, and they'll mix it up.

I did a bit of plastic dying (not accurate, but hey...) on my Chevy Truck Seat in my Project Journal. Look to the right of this post (up where it says Dusty82s Project Journal,) go to my journal, then look for The Chevy Truck Seat - Part 45, and go from there. Of everything I went through on the whole project, this was by far the easiest part...

Also, listen to Dan - he is not only the man, he's the word (and just one hell of a person besides.) He's only been doing this for over 35 years - I think he has it figured out by now...