Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   painting questions (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/painting-questions-215027.html)

aarias-31 02-20-2012 03:00 PM

painting questions

Hey Hotrodders. I am attempting to paint a father son truck project. I am going to be using paintforcars auto paint. We are going to use the base/coat clear/coat paint. He is thinking about a medium blue metallic or a medium gray metallic. My question is should we use a epoxy primer/sealer in black so the paint will cover better? And can we use epoxy primer over some sanded but, not bare metal? Also, if we spray the epoxy primer/sealer do we have to paint within 24 hrs or less? Their website states best results and adhearing if sprayed within 24 hrs after epoxy primer/sealer?

Has anyoneever used this brand before? We are not wanting to spend to much on this because we have never sprayed this big of a project before, only small stuff like utility trailers and go cart frames, etc...
Thanks

John Se 02-22-2012 01:22 PM

Your paint supplier will have a reccomended process. Follow it to the letter, you will be successful.

TucsonJay 02-22-2012 01:30 PM

I don't use epoxy primer.. so I can't help there.

Since it sounds like cheaper paint... I would suggest a blue tinted sealer... or a blue solid color, shot first... just in case the metallic doesn't cover very well.

Matt@Eastwood 02-22-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aarias-31
Hey Hotrodders. I am attempting to paint a father son truck project. I am going to be using paintforcars auto paint. We are going to use the base/coat clear/coat paint. He is thinking about a medium blue metallic or a medium gray metallic. My question is should we use a epoxy primer/sealer in black so the paint will cover better? And can we use epoxy primer over some sanded but, not bare metal? Also, if we spray the epoxy primer/sealer do we have to paint within 24 hrs or less? Their website states best results and adhearing if sprayed within 24 hrs after epoxy primer/sealer?

Has anyoneever used this brand before? We are not wanting to spend to much on this because we have never sprayed this big of a project before, only small stuff like utility trailers and go cart frames, etc...
Thanks

For a metallic color that is isn't very dark like you are thinking about, I'd suggest using a gray primer to reduce the chance of the black showing through, or changing the hue of the metallic color. Epoxy primer is a great idea, especially if you have any areas that are bare metal or had body work done. They will seal out any potential moisture and give a great base for you to lay your paint on top of.

Most primers do have an adhesion window for top coats, but you would need to check with your paint supplier.

If you are looking to keep the paint job simple and cheap, you may want to look into spraying a single stage paint that does not require a top coat. Leaves less chances for errors, as honestly clear coat is the hardest to learn how to lay perfectly.

Hope that helps!

-Matt/EW