Painting raised letters - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2006, 04:31 AM

Last journal entry: lots of wires
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting raised letters

How do you go about painting raised letters different color from the base? The paint that I am using is a two-part white pearl and a two part red with clear coat over the whole thing. If you check out my project journal you will see that I am trying to repaint an old coke machine.

Thank you
zapf

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2006, 07:20 AM

Last journal entry: lots of wires
Last photo:

still wondering what the pros think?

Just about ready to figure out how to paint the raised letters on this machine. Correct me if I am wrong but I have two options.
One just paint it all red with with the base then use a brush to paint the letters with white base then the white pearl then clear the whole machine.
or
paint it all red with clear over it, scuff the top of the letters and paint brush the pearl on top of the letters then clear the whole thing one more time...
Anyone of any other ideas???
Old 05-13-2006, 08:07 AM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I've done tons of Coke machines through the years. For me it's easiest to put the white base down first, then mask and apply the red base. For years what I did was spray on some spray mask (spray lat I think it's called). Then use a razor blade to cut around the letters. The cutting goes well if you do it at the bottom of the embossment where it starts to raise up. Theres' a natural point there where you can easily cut smoothly around the letters. But the drawback is that the paint didn't go down that far originally. Originally it ended at the top of the embossment as it was rolled or pad printed on.
I have a vinyl cutter now and usually cut out the script as a mask now to get the white to end at the original spot. But this is alot of work and almost every machine has a slightly different size or shape of embossment.
I've seen some sign painters do this by hand with nice results too.

Larry
Old 05-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Classic Car Lover

My brother-n-law had his coke machine re-done about a year ago. The guy who did the job stripped the machine down to bare metal looked alot like you journal pictures... anyway what he did was tape a piece of etching paper (usually found in hobby stores) and did a charcole rubbing of the raised letters. He took the letters to a vynle printing place that cut the charcole rubbings out and transfered the letters to vynle stickers. He then shot the white base, put the stickers on the letters and shot the red base, pealed the stickers off and cleared. I saw it when the paper was taped on after he finished the charcole rubbing, then again when he was pealing the stickers off after shooting the red. It looks real good (at least I think). Anyway maybe that will help. I imagine after you made the rubbing, you could get some of that clear sticker paper lay it on top of the rubbing and cut it yourself with an exacto knife or razor blade. Just my two cents, at least it may give you some ideas...

Bill

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.