Hot Rod Forum banner

Painting stripes

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  38 special 
#1 ·
I am going to paint the Cobra and am painting the stripes on so I can clear coat over it all.I have one question though.Should I peel off the masking tape before the paint is totally dry to prevent chipping on the edges or wait till it is completely dry.I am using the omni paint and their clear also.

#2 ·
One thing to always keep in mind is do not apply tape on a newly painted surface unless it is a baked on finish. You will find tape tracks when you pull the tape. Let the surface cure if you are unsure of the surface try a tape test spot somewhere. Tape it then wait a day. Paint air drys according to weather conditions, thickness of paint, reducers used, etc. I always clear over the existing surface before applying stripes, flames, whatever... simply because its a good precaution if a problem occurs. Concerning when to pull the tape I usually pull it from 15 to 30 minutes after applying the color. This depends on the the paint mixture, (hardeners, reducers, etc)how you dry the paint, and the angle you pull the tape. I try to follow the existing taped line pulling down letting the tape almost touch the applied tape, this is hard to explain, (do not pull at a 90 or 45 degree angle). Practice on something. Good luck.

#3 ·
Have not used omni system, but go by manufacturer's tech sheet on times. I untape after the hour suggested on my tech sheet, peeling back tape against itself- (not to the side). I have taped flames the next day always and never had tape marks- just allow thinners/reducers to evaporate as per instructions. Read all instructions and if you don't have them get them- You can always experiment but they save a lot of waste, heartache and disappointment!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.