Painting strips over sanded clear coat - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2013, 06:24 AM

Last journal entry: 700r4 still running strong
Wiki Edits: 0

Painting strips over sanded clear coat

I based an clear coated my hood about 48 hours ago, 2 wet coats of clear. I need to sand down some imperfections so I'll sand the whole hood with 600 or 800. I want to paint some black strips around my hood scoop, then clear coat the whole hood again.Will I be ok painting on top of sanded c/c.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

This i like to know to.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I see your in Texas, hope the weather is warmer than here.

Clear coat and curing are temperature related...if the hood has been inside where the temperature has been warm, say 65 to 75 degrees, you should be fine to cut he clear with 600, mask off your stripes and apply color and reclear the hood.

What clear, temperature of harder and reducer did you use?

Ray
Old 10-22-2013, 07:33 AM

Summit heavy solid clear & mid temp hardner, no reducer. I have another question,when I spray my c/c I've read that reducing the clear will help it lay smoother. I have mid temp & slow hardner also have mid temp & slow reducer. I think I can reduce up to 10%. What combo would make it lay flat, it will be into the 70s today. Also have a 1.2 tip for the gun, I was using a 1.4 when I shot the clear Sunday. Would a 1.2 do a better job.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:41 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

No, a 1.2 tip won't do any better, as you mentioned, you have a heavy solid clear and need the 1.4 tip. I personally don't like adding reducer to clear if it doesn't call for it in the mix and only as a side note stating that you can if required. With a 1.4 tip, there shouldn't be any need for more reduction...all clears have solvent in them, some direct from the manufacturer, other's the manufacturer requires you add reducer when mixing.

Laying down clear is a combination of gun set up, air pressure (as recommended by the manufacturer of the paint gun) and technique. Most often, technique is the culprit if clear isn't laying down the way the person applying it likes...especially when air pressure and gun set up are properly done.

Ray
Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 AM

It's a big hood at least to me it is (78 Camaro). All the outer edges the clear is smooth as glass except for tiny bugs that landed on it. It the middle of the hood where I was having to reach over to, just a little O.P. Having to watch out for my shirt an air hose not touching anything takes my eyes off my over lap an gun distance. Now that I'm thinking about it I should start spraying in the middle an work my way to the edge. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 AM

Last photo:

tried redusing my 2k clear with 5 % reducer, orange peel got worse.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Not really, start from the edge and work your way to the middle...then go to the middle from the other side and work from the middle to the outer edge...this way you will never have a dry edge in the middle.

If your worried about the hose, through it over your shoulder....if your worried about your paint suit or clothes, I take some 3/4 inch masking tape and wrap it around any loose clothing...that way it never comes in contact with the surface I'm painting.

And, tack off your air hose, I've seen so many painters take time to clean off a car and pick the air hose off the ground or if they have it wrapped around a hook on the wall, the hose has come in contact with parts of the hose that have been on the ground and that dirt will fall on your hood.

Hope this helps

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
dogwater (10-22-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Ray is right, it is a fine line between orange peel and runs.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:31 AM

It took a lot longer than I thought to sand down the clear coat, 4 hours, that stuff is hard. I ended up using 600 gr. wet sanding until I got a dull finish. When I was sanding I could smell that freshly sprayed clear coat smell, sanding it made it out gas a little faster. I didn't get to spray another coat of clear but I did spray two coats of jet black, they are at the base of the hood scoop an extend outwards about 1/4 in. One thing I had a problem with was making 90 turns with green 3M tape. I had to cut slits in the tape to make the turns. I forgot I had some 1/4 fine line tape, would that be able to make a 90 without having to cut it? I had some bleed thru at the turns mainly because I sprayed into the tape I should of sprayed on top of the tape. Anyhow now I have to sand them down a little an make them slightly wider to cover the bleed thru. Some time I'll get better at this.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:04 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

It's all a learning experience, if you forgot that you had fine line and tried to turn corners with green tape, next time, if you have fine line you won't forget....if you don't have fine line...I'm sure that your going to get some. Regular masking tape can lift edges anywhere but it will happen mostly on corners. I use fine line for every stripe and or graphic...all you need is one spot where it lifts and it can become a delicate repair.

Ray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.