Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting a truck - Pretty handy guy, but need a jumpstart
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 05:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will312 View Post
I'm restoring a 1974 Ford F100. I've rebuilt the motor, replaced the transmission and re-done the entire electrical system. I've rebuilt the front and rear suspension and welded in new floor panels, door jams and drawn and priced the additional cost to finish the wood flatbed.

I've finally come to a halt with Paint. It seems that the information needed to do all of the things above was pretty out in the open. Paint, on the other hand, seems to be a closely guarded secret. I'm looking to find out what type of paint I should use and the process for putting it on. I have an HVLP Spray gun and compressor and want to do it.

As I said, i'm pretty handy and have the will to do just about anything. Any help is massively appreciated!

Painting suggestions will vary with each painter you ask. They have their favored brands that they are familiar with... and opinions are widely varied about what types of paints to use.

It is also a somewhat complicated subject, as the paints of the last 30 years are not as simple to use as they were before. You have minimum and maximun times between coats that must be followed... and those differ with each type or brand of paint, plus metallic paints, and very dark colors will require a different set of steps. Sandpaper grits will vary too.

Another issue is your budget. People who are not familiar with today's products will be shocked by the cost of good quality materials... but you get what you pay for, and no more.

As the result of some of these things... there is no simple answer or plan that covers all people's needs.

Only a few things are sure...
Use a urethane paint system.
Make sure you understand the safety issues with catalyzed paints.
If you choose red or dark colors, you will need better paint.
Metallics will need a clear coat on top.
If you budget is tight, use light solid colors.
If your painting experience is small... use light solid colors.

Hope this gives you a start.