Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting wood grain 1979
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,029 Posts
I had forgotten, there were three hot rods. This was one in the main area at the GREAT Grand National Roadster show. And like digital cameras and cel phones, it was a MUCH different show than it is today in Pomona. When it was in Oakland there were no rat rods or even "traditional" Rods there there. This was a Car show, we are talking , you had to send in an application packet with photos and your car got accepted if it met their standards. When you walked around this show, you saw VERY nice cars. You couldn't put your car in the show if it had been there before unless it had "major changes" from the last time it was shown. I am not kidding you, it was a CAR SHOW for show cars!

Anyway, this T was the first car I cut and buffed with "Ultra fine" which was the first paper ever sold finer than 600. OMG it was like friggin magic! This was a brand new body that needed a bunch of work, the "Ford" script on the tail gate was all full of holes and partial letters missing. My boss told me the customer would love to have it but for me to grind it off because it can't be fixed. He said that to the wrong guy, I repaired it and the customer was thrilled.

Anyway, this car was in the main arena 1980 show and I was THRILLED to say the least having been to that show for years with my dad. It was like getting to play on your favorite MLB team and walking into the stadium you use to watch them in.

Anyway, there it was in the main area just 50 feet or so from the car that won America's Most Beautiful Roadster. When I went in there with my Girl Friend we couldn't even see it there were so many people. We literally walked right by it without seeing it. We went up into the seats around the main area and I found it then we went back down so I could get a close up look with her.

I have this StreetRodder magazine up on the wall of my garage.

Brian

It's in the lower left hand corner.

And the AMBR winner......The Great John Buttera's 29 Roadster.