Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Painting in your Garage
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2003, 06:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragon J
Question- what type of lights are you using?? I've always had bare 100watt bulbs in my garage but am now building a BIG garage with dedicated paint booth and don't want the expense of explosion proof lights. Many have told me of fluorescent blowing up from ballast spark, halogen exploding because of being bumped, etc., etc. I know guys who use simple toffer flourescents and haven't had problems. What is your advice?
I have two double tube florescent fixtures on the ceiling and to augment them I added three 100 Watt bulbs with reflectors up high. I then used three sets of halogen shop lights about 4' off the ground and placed them at three of the four corners so I could get good lighting down the sides and back of the cab. One thing is for sure, you can't have too much lighting when painting. It's the only way you can find dry areas and make sure you cover everything evenly.

I have now torn down the paint booth and put everything back in order in the garage. Upon close inspection of the cab I found four small runs. Two the size of a quarter or half dollar and a couple about 10" long on the firewall. All will sand out completely.

One technique a long time custom painter gave me for sanding out runs was to start with 600 wet wrapped around a piece of paint stick. Being very gentle use the 600 to remove the major portion of the run. Once that's done I use an Air Vantage sander (air powered hand held sander designed for dry sanding paint) and 1500 dry finishing film to go over the whole vehicle followed by buffing. Using the Air Vantage sander allows one person to completely sand an entire paint job in a couple hours where it would take a whole day color sanding by hand. Unless you have royally screwed something up in the process when you're done you should wind up with a near perfect glass finish.

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com