Paintucation ? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2006, 11:44 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Paintucation ?

Hi,

I'm new to doing paint and body work and have heard about a series of dvds called Paintucation. Are these worth the money? I hate to spend money on something that will do me no good when I can spend it on other things that do me no good :-)

Jamie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2006, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

I have never seen one but have herd there pretty good.
There are a lot of tapes out there and any of them would be worth while to watch.

Your point of can the money be spent better?
If your set up for painting than I say yes as you go to a body shop and pick out some wrecked fenders and go to the jobber and buy some mismatch paint cheap and start spraying.

Then we can answer your questions about why the paint did this and that.

Or you can buy a bunch of tapes and watch and than go spray and ask a bunch of questions.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:09 AM

I own the first four tapes in the Paintucation series. I bought them before I painted my first car. I had a little paint experience at the time but never a complete car, mostly small stuff. IMO they are worth getting. I've watched a couple other videos that showed bits and pieces of painting a car but these tapes show everything from start to finish, no time wasted on stuff that should fall under common sense. Reading about painting does help alot, that's why I spend about 30 minutes a day going through this and several other painting forums, but watching someone do it while explaining can't be beat.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

You can pick up the basic steps you take to do various repairs, and ask questions on how things should be done, but the only way to truely learn and pick up the right techniqes is by doing it for awhile and making mistakes along the way, and when you do figuring out what went wrong and how to correct it. There are a lot of things that can possibly happen while painting that can bite you in the arse if you don't do proper things to keep them from happening. There will always be a few times when something goes wrong and you will have to repaint something or take steps to correct it before finishing. If anyone says they know every single product and never ran into any problems after many years of doing this type of work, they are lying. After time you know the correct actions to take better to prevent them from happening and fix midway through. You begin to read how paint is laying out, and automatically make adjustment in your spray technique and gun and pressure settings. I started to get interested in painting in my early teens. I was into muscle cars and suscribed to car craft. When ever there was an article at the magazine stand or a book on paint or body, I bought it.
I still do have one video I bought back then that was decent showing them painting cars that I ordered out of a magazine, that included a tricoat repair Now that there is the internet, its easier for someone to get their hands on articles and advice. Then I decided to prep and paint my grandpas aluminum boat with Centari enamel. He picked out a neon green color, and I put the biggest hangers one could imagine in it. Not the best color to mask giant runs either. Some people have really good luck the first time they painted, I didn't. Everything will probably take you at least twice as long starting out. Then I started eyeing up our small rusty trailer and went to the hardware store and picked up some x0 rust, and painted that. . All practice and gaining knowledge. Then a few years out of highschool, I went to tech school to learn more and to do it for a living and still doing it to this day. A video may help you some, but you got to get out and practice, practice, practice and mess up some before using really expensive materials, even more true with todays paint prices. Then after years of doing it some days just aren't yours and you feel like a beginner all over again.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:52 AM

There is nothing like experience when it comes to spraying the paint. However, learning the right procedures to prep the car before wasting hundreds of dollars worth of paint sure does help.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:18 AM

From the view of someone that hadn't ever done any painting, I'd say the tapes are well worth the money spent. I bought the first four as well. They don't cover every aspect and they may not fit exactly your situation, but it's a lot like saying can I buy four dvd's to teach me how to build my house. There are just way too many variables to cover it all in less than 40 dvd's. Again thay are well worth the money as a place to get you started. I think the advice everyone has given you combined all together is a great combination to get you where you want to be. Trying it yourself and getting your hands dirty is the fastest way to learn. But there are serious health risks that you should research and educate yourself about prior to the first shot of paint. The more research you do first can also save you considerable time and money and help to insure you keep yourself safe and healthy. Above all have fun. It is really rewarding when things start to work and look right.

Opinion of a Noob

Dusty

PS The tapes stress safety and do a good job IMO of showing a good way to protect yourself. Personally, I think that makes them worth it all by itself.

disclamer: Dustydirt and all parties associated with dustydirt's hobby are in no way affiliated with any internet business. Dustydirt is neither related to or has even ever knowingly personally met anyone from any internet business or forum for any reason what-so-ever. All opinions given do not necessarily reflect the views of this or any other site. These are my personal opinions and if you don't like them you can go sniff a fart.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:33 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,075 Posts
I know nothing about these particular tapes, but instructional tapes of any kind are ALWAYS good money spent in my opinion. I have many and every one of them have a tip or two that are WELL worth the cost.

Brian
Old 01-15-2006, 03:45 PM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

I have them. They are decent. Definately worth the money. He could go into more detail, but they aren't half bad.

#1 Rule: READ AND FOLLOW PAINT manufacturers instructions. ESPECIALLY the compatability with their OWN other products. (Read PPG's sheets for a real eye opener!)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.