pancake engine smoking. help me out here - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2008, 04:02 PM
this hobby is expensive!

Wiki Edits: 0

pancake engine smoking. help me out here

66 corvair monza 110. car has been sitting a while smokes a lot when started and keeps smoking while running and driving. i rubbed my finger inside the tail pipe and found it to be oily. i noticed when i took off the air cleaner cover it had a new filter and was wiped off around inside to hide the blow by (oil) it was sucking into the air cleaner. now what i want to figure out is if the oil filler tube cap was originally vented or if it has to be vented at all, because the oil comes from the vents in the oil filler tube cap that is on there now (its clearly not an original cap) and into the air cleaner. and why would this engine smoke like this and have oil in the tail pipe? the engine runs excellent just smokes. if anyone has any ideas please let me read them. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

I have no experience with the Corvair, but I'd say if it's the wrong cap without a baffle to shed oil, this could be 99% of your problem.

No engine likes to suck in oil. Unless it's a 2 cycle.. I guess

If the engine has a PCV valve, replace it. Then disconnect the oil cap tube from either the cap or breather housing. May consider replacing the not so original cap with a breather.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

Engine smoking

Sometimes when an engine has sat for a long time the rings will stick and you will get a lot of blowby,I have been down that road a few times, get a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil (Wal-Mart has it) put 4oz in the gas tank and the rest in the oil and drive it at least 1,000 miles as the rings free up the smoking will gradually start to diminish.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

I've owned over 30 'vairs of all years and models...probably the best Chevy ever made...seriously. The oil fill cap is just that, a cap. Any venting was picked up from the tube( oil fill). There are only a few things that I have seen over the years that makes a 'vair use oil. One is the overheating from the belt popping off or breaking, they run at a 90* angle and are very sensitive to proper tensioning. This can cause the rings to lose their seal and also can cause the pushrod seals to get hard and leak...that wouldn't through your exhaust though. Since you gave little background on the engine it is possible that someone re-ringed it instead of installing new jugs( like a VW) and pistons. It is also possible the dipstick is incorrect and you have it over filled, a common issue with all boxer style engines. If you haven't already, I would drain the oil and install the exact amount specified( I would have to look at one of my Corvair shop manuals for the amount) with a new filter. They are pretty solid engines and can take some abuse as long as you don't drive it for any period ofter popping a belt. One last issue that I have seen in the several dozen I have rebuilt...cracked pistons. They crack across the head and can create blowby through the crack into the combustion chamber. I had one I drove from NJ to here in the early 70s and as long as I had my foot in it it was fine...as soon as I backed off I would load up a few cylinders. I kept several plugs and would pull over and change the ones that fouled and be on my way again. Sometimes I'd have to get in 1st or second gear to get up and down the Pa. Turnpike hills..got pulled over and ticketed for driving too slow, only time that has ever happened. The PCV is in the fan cover area and has a baffle under the cover to prevent oil slosh to the PCV.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM
this hobby is expensive!

well i was thinking it might just need valve seats and guides. im going to have the heads re done. the motor was completely rebuilt in 97. i just bought it the other day off the 2nd owner. it was never driven regularly and its bone original. i have the papers stating what was done to the engine back in 97...lets just say everything, it might just need to be driven.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:34 PM
this hobby is expensive!

ok this was rediculous but i figured it out. popped the air cleaner off and removed the tube running down from it to another tube into the intake im guessing i really didnt look it went into the case over the motor. anyway i blew it out with an air compressor and it was clear. then i started to put it back together and when i went to put the plug back into that tube i asked myself why in the ******* would this plug go on here? so i didnt put it back on, fired the car up. NO SMOKE NO OIL SPRAYING EVERYWHERE!!!!!! wow someone really didnt have a clue what they were doing. i cleaned the oil off everything drove it around the area here and it runs like a top and im gonna drive it to work tomorrow. thanks guys

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.