pancake hood - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

pancake hood

hey guys, working on a 57 gmc. just wondering if anybody has anything on pancaking a hood. I'm not ready yet, just researching before I decide to do anything. my hood is the gmc with the hole in the front forr the logo. i want to keep the hole and pancakeit about 1 1/2 inches. do you think it will be a problem for the hole? any pics or links would be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Last photo:

Kabwe's aka Bam's build - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

bottom of first page, good stuff and pictures
Old 08-13-2012, 12:21 AM

Last photo:

thats great, thanks. I will see what mine looks like when I get to that part. kabwe's got some pretty good fab skills I would say. hope mine are 1/2 as good.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:23 AM

Last journal entry: Nothing
Last photo:

Boy I'm finding links and pictures from my build all over the web and no one ever says hello.lol
I'm not mean really I'm not.lol
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

hey kabwe

hey man, here is the hello you were looking for.
you sent me a couple of pics of your hood long time agao and it got me thinking i want to do that to my gmc hood. it has the hole in the front so it will be a challenge. I lost the pics you sent me so thanks for responding. how much did you cut out at he front? I checked out your build thread. awesome job. are you a welder or sheet metal guy? looks like you know your way around the cut, fit, weld & grind process. if only I was half as good.
my cab is in about the same shape as yours was before. i was going to use the gmc cab, which is in better shape, but it was in an accident at some point so the doors don't fit by a mile. I don't want to start with something that is bent and have to custom fit EVERYTHING, so I will have to use the other cab I have, a 58. i want to customize the dash as well because I want to fit the cluster from a newer style (01 up) in there to match the ls 4.8 engine I have. that way I get all the idiot lights etc without having to shell out big bucks for a dakota dash.
hey skip99, are you a firefighter? (I see the logo). I am with the calgary fire dept.
dennis
Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Last journal entry: Nothing
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
hey man, here is the hello you were looking for.
you sent me a couple of pics of your hood long time agao and it got me thinking i want to do that to my gmc hood. it has the hole in the front so it will be a challenge. I lost the pics you sent me so thanks for responding. how much did you cut out at he front? I checked out your build thread. awesome job. are you a welder or sheet metal guy? looks like you know your way around the cut, fit, weld & grind process. if only I was half as good.
my cab is in about the same shape as yours was before. i was going to use the gmc cab, which is in better shape, but it was in an accident at some point so the doors don't fit by a mile. I don't want to start with something that is bent and have to custom fit EVERYTHING, so I will have to use the other cab I have, a 58. i want to customize the dash as well because I want to fit the cluster from a newer style (01 up) in there to match the ls 4.8 engine I have. that way I get all the idiot lights etc without having to shell out big bucks for a dakota dash.
hey skip99, are you a firefighter? (I see the logo). I am with the calgary fire dept.
dennis
Hey Dennis I hope you took this as a joke as it was intended. As far as me being a welder and sheetmetal guy I'm self taught but I grew up with carnuts as older brothers so I was always around it.

I took out 1 1/2 inches out the front of my hood because I did not want it extreme. Your hood is no more challenging than mine its just thinking things through before the first cut. If I were doing yours I would first draw a line down the center of the hood. This line has to be perfectly centered. I would then draw all my cut lines to pancake the hood. Then I would cut the GMC hole out leave around 1/2 inch for weld area and put it to the side. I would than pancake the hood and put the GMC hole back using that center line as a reference. I hope that makes sense. That way I could keep the original size of the GMC hole without chopping it. Its the same concept of choping a top and keep the size of the rear window. There are many ways to do this but thats how I would attack it.

You can have access to all my pics on my flicker page if you need them for reference. BAM1955's photosets on Flickr

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.