Panel adhesive questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2008, 01:39 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Panel adhesive questions

Is it okay to use panel adhesive to glue epoxy-primed patch panels? The adhesive instructions say to "remove any adhesive, e-coating, corrosion protection or galvanized coating." The problem is I have pitted, rough textured metal (it was spot-blasted then painted) that I need to glue to and there's no real easy way to get the paint out of the pits, aside from sandblasting it again. Wish I had thought of this earlier.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2008, 07:32 PM

No problem, just sand the epoxy off as much as possible. If there's some left in the pits, there'll be little effect if any on the bonding.
The rough surface will actually strengthen the bond.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:39 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

just wire wheel the pittsI got a 48 i'm gluing up in my journal
Old 04-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
I am torn on this one. Listen, there are circomstances where the manufacturers recommendations would be to epoxy prime it BEFORE bonding. A C5-6 Corvette inner fenders for example. How about urethaning a window in, epoxy first.

But man-o-man I am torn on this one. I think I would sand blast it again and bond it. Just spot blast the edge where the adhesive will go. We KNOW that works, so you can't go wrong.

Mike, I personally don't like using a wire wheel it always seems to "shine" the metal more than clean it. And if it does clean out the pits, it leaves the metal so shiny. I prefer to go with a Red ROLOC "Surface conditioning disc" which scratches it a lot better. And STILL after that I just MUST run over it with a nice new 50 grit (or even 36) disc before bonding (just as the instructions on the adhesive I use says).

But to spot sandblast it, ahhhhh, that I feel real good about before bonding.

Then apply the adhesive and be sure to spread it out with an acid brush covering all bare metal that will be hidden and to press it into the scratches. THEN apply a little bead over the top of that on one panel and press the two parts together.

Brian
Old 04-05-2009, 11:33 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I use a real course wire wheel or cup,but I agree to spot blast is best just not at my shop,there my be a race motor being built in the next bay.not only that as my nick name the "deadbodyman" suggests,I build a great many lost causes, " dead cars" and they do last so i dont want to take any more than the rust out,I can control that much better with a wheel.I think you know my next step treat and etch and the product I use.that urathane windshield glue also works great for sticking wide body mouldings on,I dont like double stick tape to much. I picked up some cold galvinizing in a spray can to use insted of weld thru primer something someone recomended so far I like it and its 1/3 the price, same stuff inside i'm told ,didnt have my glasses but it welds good

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.