Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - panel alignment on 55 Chevy's
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

panel alignment on 55 Chevy's

is it me or are these cars a nightmare to line up? I noticed the cowl gets pushed back easily on these (3rd one where I noticed) and it closes up the gap on the windshield pillar, so you can have nice gaps on the door but up top you have no gaps. I used a porto power and 2x4 lightly but you can't do much cause you will have more gap up top in the rear than the bottom to the quarter. So I cut a slice on the windshield pillar and opened it up, and had to do away with the darn lead. I noticed the door hinge bolts for the two inside the hinge pocket have washers with huge teeth and it can very easily fool you into thinking you have no more movement, but you probably do. I also notice the door gap to the cowl is always the one that will never be right unless you weld a bead. I dunno, just a few things I noticed but I bet someone's out there that knows a lot about the quarkyness of lining these things up. Any odd tips or common things to look for? Any tip appreciated.