Parallel Leaf Front Suspension - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007, 07:29 AM

Last journal entry: More painting pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Parallel Leaf Front Suspension

I'm thinking of using parallel leaf on the front of a custom 20's style roadster (not a Ford) and would love to hear feedback from anyone who has experience with it.

I can't find any company who offers this as a complete unit so I have a few reservations whether it would be worth the trouble of fabricating it from whats available or to simply go with a IFS. Thanks for any help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 07:38 AM

Many, many early race cars, even with Ford Bodies, were built on frames from 28-31 Chevrolets and 27-31 Essex as well as the early 33-36 Willys.
MAS and perhaps speedway offer a dual spring front end, sold as a GASSER frontend.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:27 AM

Last photo:

Gee, parallel leaves were used on 4wd's until about 16 years ago. Nothing wrong with them, I reckon an early 80s Chev/GMC 4wd is more stable on a rough road at speed than a twin traction beam Ford - no track changes over the rough stuff.
Remember to put the steering on the 'spring eye' side of the axle - not the shackle side, as bump steer becomes more of an issue with the spring 'length gain' on the shackle side.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 AM

Last photo:

MAS Racing products shows a parallel spring front end in their adds.
The advertise in Rod and Custom and other magazines and have for years.
I bought pieces from the for my T-Bucket in the early 70's. They still don't have a web site and are a bit slow as they often build the item when they get the order. At least they did then. They show axles with up to 7 inch drop.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have seen the mas ad. I had hoped to hear from people who had used this suspension on their hot rod and then changed it out for an IFS. I wondered if they thought it was worth the work and expense or if they regretted it.

Also I'm wondering if the IFS just doesn't look right on a 20's period roadster.
Anyone else think the IFS looks too modern?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:20 PM

Of course IFS looks modern on a 20s style roadster. You must remember that any 20s style car would be 4 or 6 cylinder powered with very tall skinny wire or woodspoke wheels and tire sizes like 30X3 1/2.
If you're talking about a T Bucket roadster you're also right 'cause IFS just doesn't look right on them either.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:54 AM

Last photo:

It sounds like you are working on a project similiar to one of mine.
A two seat indy racer style car for the street. In my case I am using a 28/29 Chev frame with a dropped axle that I picked up at an auction a few years ago.
I've been collecting photos of that era race cars for a while to get the concept of the car down. Positioning of the grill shell in relation to the front axle, positioning of the cockpit in relation to the whole chassis.

Here's a link to a great site that may give you some ideas http://www.milleroffy.com/index.htm
Turn up the sound when you log on to it

I have to agree with you in that on most early fenderless cars an independent front end looks bulky and out of place unless you go to the tricky slicky tube control arm front ends with the hidden shocks and springs.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I guess I'm not a purist as my feelings on a twin parallel leaf spring appear to be just the opposite of that voiced. There are several early thirties Chevies and Mopars around the area with that setup. To me, it just looks too busy. A nice IFS (IMHO) removes all that clunky claptrap, puts a set of spring over shocks, a R&P steering and possibly a sway bar about at the centerline of the crank pulley. There is virtually nothing but the steering column and shafts beyond that point. How much cleaner a setup can it be?? The attached is a photo of a '28 - '31 Ford 'A'.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compl chassis1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	18727  
Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

Chopt 48
thanks for the address, that's a great site. The steering on that 'golden sub' is something else and those straight 8 Twin overhead cam engines are in my opinion easily the best looking engines ever made, don't suppose you could get your hands on one of those for me could you?? One of those Duesenberg straight 8's would be nice. Send me some pics of your project.

IrelandsChild
that is a nice looking IFS, is that factory or did you fab. it yourself?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:02 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimshaw
Chopt 48

IrelandsChild
that is a nice looking IFS, is that factory or did you fab. it yourself?
The IFS is from TCI
Old 02-22-2007, 09:23 AM

Last photo:

That is a nice looking ifs and one that I wouldn't mind having on a car that I intended to build the car as reacher that I could make fast comfortable runs acrooss the country. That also gets the car into the "Hi tech, billet" look but I believe that Scrimshaw is intending to build a period car with a certain look.

The project that I have is still in the parts collection stage. The Chev chassis should be comming home on Monday complete with 16 inch Chev wires. It served time as a wagon/trailer and will need a bit of clean up. I have the cowl and have been working on the tail section and have the grill shell stashed away. Engine is undecided at this time but it will be an inline something. 4,6 or 8 hasn't been decided but the 250 Chev that I have in the 48 is a prime candidate. The dropped axle is actually what started the project, I picked it up 6 years ago and have been gathering pieces to build a car on top of it.
The intent is to have it resemble one of the early 2 seat race cars but not try to be authentic. There is no "I have this exact part to make it right" concept.
I'll start an album on it in my photobucket projects album when I get the frame home

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.