Hot Rod Forum banner

Park Lights

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  vicrod 
#1 ·
I changed my park lights/ turn signal light bulbs on my 59 Ford to LED's and found that for some reason, both sides flash when either side turn signals are used. If I leave the running lights on, the signal lights work properly so I want to wire my running lights to come on when ever the car is running. I have an electronic flasher so that's not the problem, anyways, I like the idea of having running lights so I am wondering what would be the proper way to hook up my park lights to operate when ever the car is running and sitlii be able to use them as turn signals ?

#2 ·
Possibly

Can I run a wire from my ign. side of my ignition switch to the lights and then leave the rest of the wiring as it is because there are 2 circuits in the bulbs, one for running and one for turn signals. I think I may have just answered my own question .

#3 ·
DRLs

DRL's have been required in Canada for new cars for several years now. I think it's a good idea.
As you said, connect a wire from ignition ON wire to the front park lights. But you need to disconnect the existing park light wire.
Now the front park lights will only light with ignition ON. If that's not to your liking, you may want to consider a completely separate light fixture for the DRLs.
See this LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

vicrod

#6 ·
Done

That went easier than I thought it would. I lifted the wire for the park lights off the light switch and changed ends so I could put it on the switched on side of the ign switch and they work perfectly. Thanks Vic .

#7 ·
can't see

There is another thing that may become an issue if the front lights use a dual filament bulb.
When the (DRLs) are on and you use the turn signals, sometimes the front turn signals are not visible in daylight.
There is a easy way to wire this so that the DRLs go off when the turn signals are is use.
This is done with a time delay relay OFF delay. The DRL circuit is routed through the normally closed contacts.
This TDR will be triggered when the turn signals are flashing but the relay will maintain the contacts open for the OFF time (3 seconds) of the turn signals. Then re-trigger when the turn signal flashes ON again.
When the turn signal cancels the TDR times out and closes the contacts, thus lighting the DRLs.
(2) TDR can be used, one for each side. Or a single TDR can be used but blocking diodes are need in the trigger circuit to separate the left and the right turn signals.

vicrod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.