Hot Rod Forum banner

Parking Brake setup

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  TooMany2count 
#1 ·
I have a 37 Ply that has the original parking brake handle mounted in the center of the dash. I am still using the original bench seat. I would like to set up the parking brake cabling to connect to the 1970 GM 10 bolt rear end drum brakes. I have dual exhaust too. If I route the cable down along the firewall inside the cabin and then out on the passenger side of the trans I will have a fairly easy route toward the rear of the car. This is where I get stumped. There are two cables I have to pull at the same rate and with equal force. Is the preferred location for the trapeze in the center of the car? The drive shaft becomes an obstacle. If I pull from one side of the car, the long cable will cross over the drive shaft. Does this mean I need bent tubing to protect the cables? Any suggestions and/or advice would be appreciated.

#5 ·
I have been working on some rigging to solve the problem. I got a couple of small soft springs from the hardware store and fastened them to the approximate tie-off points on the rear axle brake cables. I tied some yellow nylon string to the springs and then started routing the strings forward and over the exhaust and drive shaft in search of a good path. In a couple of places I taped in some plastic tubing to support the string and make turns without binding the string. I think I may have to go up to the floor pan to get by the drive shaft. It is a tricky task and working on my back under the car. I'v had a little help from the wife, but she gets impatient when I'm underneath scratching my head trying to figure this thig out. Once I get the route determined I'll need cable. What size cable is generally recommended. I think it is fairly large if it anything like the cable exiting the wheel drum. Should the last cable that pulls between the brake lever and the two cables to the rear wheels be larger than the brake cables?

#7 ·
look at some late model chevy cars & trucks, one e-brake cable is longer then the other & it is ran over to the drivers side where it comes together w/the drivers e-cable. they are then connected w/a bracket & then pulled as one when u apply the e-brake.this is the set up i use on everything i have built & they'll work on ford's 8 & 9 inch rearends too...hope this helps...joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.