Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - parking brake sticking '82 chevy C/K
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

parking brake sticking '82 chevy C/K

So I replaced the rear shoes (11x2"), wire brushed the backing plate and all the reused parts, put in new wheel cylinders (napa), greased the contact points. I've got some new rear brake cables to replace the old ones thinking maybe some rust inside the cable housing portion is not letting the cable move as freely as it should. I just got the rear drums turned at O'reilly so that may help the issue. I also picked up an adjuster rebuild kit for each rear drum at Advance Auto. All this on the heels of replacing the rusted up rear brake lines with some good ones from the junk yard.

The shoes do show some spots where were dragging on the drum that would explain the slight noise I was getting. The driver's side wheel looked to be sticking some as best I could tell. There has been some noise most of the time since I replaced the shoes. The backing plate does not have the slot to adjust the star wheel unfortunately.

I'm not a great mechanic, obviously, but this stuff doesn't seem that bad. I did it one wheel at a time, took pics, made sure I didn't have parts left over,etc. Now that the drums are turned, they do slide right on over the shoes, unlike before with a much tighter fit.

If I replace the two rear cables only the intermediate cable will be original since I replaced the front cable attatched to the parking brake a couple years ago.
So is the mixing of older and newer parts contributing to the issue possibly?