Hot Rod Forum banner

Parking lights from Turn signal lights

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
I have a set of L.E.D. turn signal lights in my H-4 head lights,. can i use these same bulbs for parking lights if i use a diode on the R&L turn signal wires to stop feed back to the signal flasher.If so do i need any special diode will a#1N4001 work. I do not have any more room for wires in my looms i did drill them out and have the wire in place if this will work.I do not know that much about wiring. :confused:

#3 ·
First problem is a turn-signal in the headlight cannot be seen when the headlight is on. It might be legal but not effective. In Pa. it would not fly.

The turn-signals can be isolated from the park lights with a diode but when the park lights are on the turn-signals won't flash.
A relay must be activated to turn off the park lights when the turn-signals are activated.
Most turn-signal switches don't have a stead state contact to operate the relay coil. A time-delay relay will work to provide a steady state control to turn off the park lights when the turn-signals are flashing.
The time-delay relay would be a "time-delay-upon-deenergization" set for about 3 seconds.

vicrod

#4 ·
Parking lights from turn signal lights

Thank you both(docvette and vicrod) for your reply,My plan was to use the these lights on a separate switch to be used as parking lights and only parking lights.I will have 1157 style L.E.D. taillight bulbs in the rear along with a L.E.D. 3ed light.

#5 ·
Doc here, :pimp:

I forgot , those Front signals may not be visible under direct headlamp illumination..or with certain type lenses..you might want to check that to see if it meets D.O.T. standards like Vicrod said..

Also, In California, where I live, It is Illegal to drive with the park lamps illuminated at anytime,(parks must go out when headlamps go on..) You might want to check your local regs for that also..

If your Going to Isolate them Via a separate switch, you should still be OK with diode isolation, when the park switch you install is selected "OFF"..

Let us know your progress :thumbup:

Doc :pimp:

#6 ·

No the parking lights will be used as parking lights only.Now you have me wondering about the turn signals.I did test them, but not in the head light I tested them because they were clear and not yellow as i though they would be but to my surprise they were a very bright yellow.I do not have the wiring done but i will hot wire the head lights and turn signals to see how they show up with the head lights on . I will let you know. How visible they are.

#7 ·

I hot wired the turn signals lights alone they looked great, but with the head lights on they suck! I listened to some one that had them in there car and said how good they were. More money down the drain. Back to plan one, Old style turn and park lights. :pain: :sweat:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.