Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Part-time customizers need advice
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

For me (and I don't do Car Repair at Home but I do run a Business (I'm over 2 Locations) that does Sales/Service/Parts on Heavy Equipment-John Deere Ag and Construction), I will suggest a couple of things that I run into with Service a lot-

1. Know the Laws in your State regarding Liens (Mechanic's and otherwise)-in my State, you must file a Lien within 30 Days of the last day of Labor you performed-

2. Get 1/2 (or more) up front! A lot of people are just looking for free Storage, or have intentions of paying, but life gets in the way. I have seen so many of my Customers' in the last Year go down because they did it on Credit or on Account-don't do it!

3. Talk about the money before you do the work-I realize that I said something like this in #2, and people are always hesitant to talk about it, but ask! If you are doing a Hot Rod (that isn't primary transportation), have they saved the money to pay you? Do they have a plan or know how they are going to pay you? Talk about it-this is the hardest part for most people.

And, as pointed out earlier, if you are doing this as a Hobby and start doing it for money, it can (or will) take the fun out of it. I used to be a die hard ATV/JetSki/Motorcyclist until I ran a Business doing it-it took over 10 Years to get enthused about it again after wards-

There are so many other things-who is going to pay if the Car gets stolen while in your possession? Are you buying the Parts and then making a profit? (you should). Do you have a place to store it? On and on-

Remember, this is a Business-if you want friends do not charge for the work-

Last edited by 35WINDOW; 04-08-2009 at 04:37 PM.