Part-time customizers need advice - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 08:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

chet..i noticed that after i posted last night and i have learned to look for the date of the OP. i see old threads posted regularly. i guess that one slipped by me, i felt retarded!!!...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM
58/58

Last photo:

Part-time customizers need advice

I agree with many here, NEVER do a car for a close friend or relative... AND never ever sell a used car to a friend or relative, no matter how great that car is,..... I do a fair amount of work for spare $$$, I keep it simple @ brakes, timing belts, CV....no body work just mechanical...The shop in town is $95 a hour, I charge 20 hr. I keep it simple, no hurry, one at a time, never get ahead of yourself...
Old 03-20-2008, 06:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by techron
chet..i noticed that after i posted last night and i have learned to look for the date of the OP. i see old threads posted regularly. i guess that one slipped by me, i felt retarded!!!...

I kinda like seeing the occasional "oldie" dug up. Especially one this good. As I used to say, "Quit Learning, Quit Living." Definately no need to feel retarded.

In a while, Chet.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

It was just said. "Friends and relatives will be your worst customers"

All the info above is pretty good.

I do an Excell spread sheet outlining exactly what I will do and what will not be done. You can't get everything but as you go communication is the answer. The more detail the better. Most customers really like this. when we are done we can check off the items and agree the project is done as decribed.

I keep additional pages for labor and parts purchases as well as payments and other notes.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
[I
I do an Excell spread sheet outlining exactly what I will do and what will not be done. You can't get everything but as you go communication is the answer. The more detail the better. Most customers really like this. when we are done we can check off the items and agree the project is done as decribed.[/I]
Excellent advice; new or old!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

As soon as you get money involved everything changes.The best advice I can give you is if you really like working on cars as a hobbie keep it that way,as a hobbie.You and your friend should buy a car and fix it up then sell it.Be your own customer and enjoy the work.I almost ruined a great hobbie working with wood. When people saw what I could do they all started throwing money at me then thought they could call me every day and complain about the time it took,so I just gave them their money back and called them when I finished .After that I only built things for me and my grand kids and never involved money with a hobbie again.Cars are my business,cars are cool, the people that own them are not so cool,all you have to do is read some of the differnt threads on this site and you'll see what I mean,you'll need thick skin dealing with these people.Have fun with it ,mabee buy and sell parts on ebay for cash
Old 04-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

For me (and I don't do Car Repair at Home but I do run a Business (I'm over 2 Locations) that does Sales/Service/Parts on Heavy Equipment-John Deere Ag and Construction), I will suggest a couple of things that I run into with Service a lot-

1. Know the Laws in your State regarding Liens (Mechanic's and otherwise)-in my State, you must file a Lien within 30 Days of the last day of Labor you performed-

2. Get 1/2 (or more) up front! A lot of people are just looking for free Storage, or have intentions of paying, but life gets in the way. I have seen so many of my Customers' in the last Year go down because they did it on Credit or on Account-don't do it!

3. Talk about the money before you do the work-I realize that I said something like this in #2, and people are always hesitant to talk about it, but ask! If you are doing a Hot Rod (that isn't primary transportation), have they saved the money to pay you? Do they have a plan or know how they are going to pay you? Talk about it-this is the hardest part for most people.

And, as pointed out earlier, if you are doing this as a Hobby and start doing it for money, it can (or will) take the fun out of it. I used to be a die hard ATV/JetSki/Motorcyclist until I ran a Business doing it-it took over 10 Years to get enthused about it again after wards-

There are so many other things-who is going to pay if the Car gets stolen while in your possession? Are you buying the Parts and then making a profit? (you should). Do you have a place to store it? On and on-

Remember, this is a Business-if you want friends do not charge for the work-

Last edited by 35WINDOW; 04-08-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

All true just like 35 window said.I still have trouble getting the money part out of the way,and I cant tell you how many people tried to store a car for free thinking I'll never get around to it.It takes years of experiance just to run a business and thats after you've learned the trade

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.