Part #for water temp sensor in head - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 8
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Part #for water temp sensor in head

I have gone to a couple of auto part stores but keep geting a temp sensor that fits into the intake manifold. I have a 350 in my 55 chevy truck and want to use the factory temp gauge, I changed heads and did not get the sensor off of the old ones.....So need to know a vehicle make and model or part number for this type of sensor (sending unit), it has a male clip area on the end that the connect slips into.....anyone got any info?

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Age: 68
Posts: 831
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 28
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
We had a '69 Corvette that used the DS side port on the head for the temp gauge. No telling if the sender would match your gauge. That'd take some research on your part..

Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 8
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatM
We had a '69 Corvette that used the DS side port on the head for the temp gauge. No telling if the sender would match your gauge. That'd take some research on your part..

Pat
Thanks, but they really should be quite common...that being said, I haven't found the info yet. The gauge is a one line connection so it should not be complicated. I will check the 69 Corvette...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 PM
68NovaSS's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nine Mile Falls/Suncrest, WA
Posts: 5,271
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks: 110
Thanked 138 Times in 129 Posts
If you're trying to use the OEM gauge, why not get the correct sensor for that year and model truck motor, and adapt it to your intake or heads? Coolant temp is coolant temp, the correct sensor should send what's needed to the gauge.
__________________
Boost adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 8
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
If you're trying to use the OEM gauge, why not get the correct sensor for that year and model truck motor, and adapt it to your intake or heads? Coolant temp is coolant temp, the correct sensor should send what's needed to the gauge.
yep, I agree and this is sort of what I am asking. The sensor I am looking for is a run of the mill sensor in the driver's side head between the 1st two spark plugs. I tried finding the one for my truch but it goes on the intake, and I am trying to avoid that. These head sending units should be very common, but so far no one has given me a part number or reference....man I wish i had taken the old one out of my old heads....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Silver Surfer's Avatar
More machine than man
 

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Age: 37
Posts: 810
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 92
Thanked 62 Times in 52 Posts
I guessing this is it. Here are TWO to choose from. Now this may not fit into your head. Meaning this is a 3/8" fine thread sender, but your head may be a 1/2" course thread. So you may need an adapter. BTW I looked this up on a 71' C10 with a 350.

BWD - Coolant Temperature Sensor/Sender
Part Number: WT203
UPC: 33086040424

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...r%21s%21sender

ACDelco - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
Part Number: G1852
UPC: 36666238723

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...r%21s%21sender
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 PM
68NovaSS's Avatar
Hotrodders.com Moderator
 
Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Nine Mile Falls/Suncrest, WA
Posts: 5,271
Wiki Edits: 9

Thanks: 110
Thanked 138 Times in 129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjack04
yep, I agree and this is sort of what I am asking. The sensor I am looking for is a run of the mill sensor in the driver's side head between the 1st two spark plugs. I tried finding the one for my truch but it goes on the intake, and I am trying to avoid that. These head sending units should be very common, but so far no one has given me a part number or reference....man I wish i had taken the old one out of my old heads....
Maybe I'm missing something here, but what does it matter, put it in the head, put it in the intake, as long as it has the correct connector and is for your original motor.
__________________
Boost adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl...

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: AZ
Posts: 8
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
I guessing this is it. Here are TWO to choose from. Now this may not fit into your head. Meaning this is a 3/8" fine thread sender, but your head may be a 1/2" course thread. So you may need an adapter. BTW I looked this up on a 71' C10 with a 350.

BWD - Coolant Temperature Sensor/Sender
Part Number: WT203
UPC: 33086040424

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...r%21s%21sender

ACDelco - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
Part Number: G1852
UPC: 36666238723

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...r%21s%21sender
Thanks, I am surprised you found it. I tried a bunch of different truck and kept getting the one for the intake which has a much larger (seems like 3/4 inch) whole. I appreciate it - and yep the head has a course thread whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-29-2012, 04:30 PM
Silver Surfer's Avatar
More machine than man
 

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Age: 37
Posts: 810
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 92
Thanked 62 Times in 52 Posts
What do I win?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to put water temp sensor? Blazin_Jason Engine 10 03-03-2008 07:27 AM
Water Temp Sensor longt Electrical 1 01-03-2008 08:09 PM
Water pump, Thermostate, or temp Sensor? jrm123180 Engine 11 11-06-2005 02:10 PM
water temp sensor location earthworm Engine 13 09-07-2005 04:18 PM
Water Temp Sensor location 65chevymike Engine 11 04-28-2004 01:23 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.