Hot Rod Forum banner

Parts cleaner

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  rj57 
#1 ·
Hello. What do you guys suggest as a good parts cleaner solvent. Something to clean all the grim and dirt off old valve covers, intakes and such. Thank you.

#3 ·
We use mineral spirits here in our shop. A small stainless steel brush works wonders on some of the hard stuff. A small thing to think about. A stainless brush won't spark. We don't know if it is worth worrying about but we don't want to find out the hard way with a fire in your face when you got your hands down in it either. Just an extra caution, can't be to careful in the shop.

#4 ·
my son and I have 2 motor projects going, one motor is a GM 350 crate engine that was In a p/u for 4 months b4 we bought it, my son wants to paint it Lime Green, it's for a Suburban 4 him.

my wife surprised us with a 20gallon parts washer and 10gallons of solvent from the local farm store. I was wanting it mostly for v covers and engine tin ect. it was on sale for $69 and looks like the cats meow. (directions say it holds 11 gallons max)

I put the parts washer together but haven't added solvent yet, need to clean garage and make a place for it 1st. not sure it can be moved when its full of solvent. I was wanting the smaller 3 1/2 gallon parts washer, so I could move it & store it. but they only had one left and it was the 20ga & on sale.

I ordered some headers from summit and also got 3 brass brushes and one big wood handle stiff pvc Bessel brush.

mines just like this one from HF but mines all red. online parts washer prices aren't bad. but shipping is high imo.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=7340

this is the small 3 1/2 gallon one

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35740

Mustangsaly

#6 ·
You can buy the small parts brushes at swap meet for about $1 each. I usually buy $4 - $5 worth cause I know I'll end up using them all at some point?

Just wondering here.............

With all the stuff we used to use on our cars over the years now being considered "Hazardous Materials" now, what do you guys clean carburators with?

#7 ·
I use a water base solvent I bought from NAPA .It was about $120 for 10 gallons but it works great and I don't have to worry about the fire in the wood stove 10 feet from it.I put a old aluminum manifold that was pretty bad in it and let it sit a few days and when I took it out it looked like new.I run that manifold on my 58 now that it looks good.

#8 ·
rj57 said:
You can buy the small parts brushes at swap meet for about $1 each. I usually buy $4 - $5 worth cause I know I'll end up using them all at some point?

Just wondering here.............

With all the stuff we used to use on our cars over the years now being considered "Hazardous Materials" now, what do you guys clean carburetors with?

Bendix, Permatex or NAPA carburetor cleaner $$$$ $145 for 5 gal. I pooped when I received the bill. Permatex sells it in 1 gallon containers at Auto Zone. russ

#9 ·
BMM said:
Does the parts washer just soak the parts and save your hands from contacting any product?
you can soak parts in the solvent, but your hands still get exposed to the solvent unless you wear elbow high rubber gloves.

theres a pump with a filter in the bottom of the parts washer tub, and theres a flat metal bottom piece that sits above the solvent level with slots in it to the lay the parts on to be cleaned. the pump pumps a continuous stream of solvent through a stainless or chrome metal flex-able pipe, so you can lay the part to be cleaned under the stream of solvent and use a brush to clean the part. the pump recirculates & filters the solvent and pumps it back through the stainless metal flex-able pipe. there is a metal basket with slots in the bottom to put bolts and pieces in and sit under solvent stream.

I Guess it's like a sink & a facet, this setup just filters & recirculates the solvent. when the filter & solvent is dirty, you have to clean the filter & change the solvent when it's to dirty.

a buddie owns a radiator shop, its a big building. so us guys have used his place to build a drag car and demo cars in and we have pulled & rebuild motors in his shop too, he has a safety clean parts washer in his shop. and his brother has a mechanic shop about 30miles away, he does a bit of everything cars/trucks, tractors ect. but irrigation motors are his bread and butter. we can use his shop on Saturday afternoons & Sunday's. he also has a safety clean parts washer in his shop.

now my buddie had a parts washer like mine in his home garage when he 1st opened his shop, and he took the parts washer from his garage to his shop. and he now has a unit like mine and the safety kleen unit. he says the safety kleen solvent is a better stronger solvent/cleaner.

I guess that I got used to a parts washer around and thought I needed one or wanted one.

safety kleen supply's the parts washer and solvent and services the unit ever month or what ever, for a monthly fee.

mine won't get near the use a 4 + man shop parts washer gets used. so it will prob will work out good for my garage & me.

my son loves all the tools and garage stuff, cause it makes his life easier too, plus one day he knows it will be his, like the a/c compressor, cherry picker, moor stand, floor drill press, 8" wilton vice, parts washer and full roll away box

this is a Safety Kleen Sink Parts Washer unit, you can buy home units like this from northern tool or harbor freight or where ever. it's just bigger than mine.

Mustangsaly

#11 ·
probably dangerouse, but effective

At the shop I used to work in we'd use off road diesle fuel in the parts washer,very inexpensive compared to other solvents. boss said he'd used it for years and hasnt had a problem, he dosent exactly have an eye towards safety though. its is pretty hard to light diesle fuel, but, i havent filled my parts washer with it just yet.

#14 ·
I haven't purchased carb cleaner in years so I'm not sure what's out there any more? I kept using the stuff I bought a ling time ago and used it till it wasn't any good. On occassion I'd pour in some kerosene I had to give it a little pick-me-up and clean parts again for me.

The tool & die shop I used to work at, they had a great parts tank and the solvent we filled it with stunk like s--t but it sure cleaned. You could soften factory applied undercoating with it.

I used to buy a gallon or so when I needed a decent solvent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.