parts interchangeability - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2005, 03:03 PM

Last journal entry: The '85 Monte Carlo
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

parts interchangeability

I have a 89 grand marquis with a 5.0 in it and AOD trans. Can parts for the mustang 5.0 (intake cams, ect.) be used on this motor? Is there PCM calibrations that need to be done? I bought the car for $100 and it needs a rebuild and I'm thinking of doing a performance build to later put the engine in a mustang.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2005, 03:24 PM

Last photo:

the motor you have is a speed density, the mustang 5.0 H.O. is mass air. The mainfolds etc will interchange, however you will need to convert to a TFI style distributor, as well as change the cam to one with the H.O. firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8) You will need an aftermarket harness (Painless) to operate this system & use an A9L computer
Old 10-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

5.0 pieces

Lots of stuff for that engine is available..and that is a good combo for a street rig..If you stick with the EFI you may need to reprogram the computer to allow for modifications..tho tha tis one of those it depends questions..just what kind of performance mods do you contemplate..??

Parts are no problem..getting everthing to work together may be an issue..

Saying this I am no computer expert being an old carburator guy..

Good luck

OMT
Old 10-27-2005, 04:52 PM

Last photo:

Ford EFI is a pretty cool system, the mass air motor will allow changes(within reason) without any calibration. stick with the 19 lb injectors & stock MAF sensor unti you absolutely need to change them. The A9L has an "adaptive " learning curve, it will actually learn how you drive the vehicle & make changes to get the best all around performance. With a VERY streetable cam, slight head work, 280-300 hp is not out of the question. Not bad for a combo that will deliver 18-25 mpg
Old 10-27-2005, 10:54 PM

Last photo:

The pistons in the GM motor are flat-tops with little or no valve reliefs, and this limits cam selection due to potential interference between valve & piston. The heads are not much good for high performance, but they work real well with the tiny little GM roller cam for low-rpm work & fuel economy.

The same motor (with the exception of the wrong-sided intake manifold) was used in '86-88 T-birds & Cougars.

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/mid_ho.html is from a T-bird/Cougar site and has info on what you can do to that motor without major mods and without confusing the computer.

http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advance...onversion.html has info on more in-depth mods.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:44 PM

Last journal entry: The '85 Monte Carlo
Last photo:

I found some info that makes kits for the MAF conv. I also found that you can get the parts from a salvage yard. Is it best to keep the EFI or go to carb. I would like to keep the bottom end stock and a cam that would be good for force induction if I later plan on putting a turbo or supercharger on it. I heard that the wiring in different models of fords are different colors. Would the kits for the conv. still be OK to use even though the wiring colors may be diff. on my marquis? Should I just follow what wire goes to what pin on the PCM?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1bbody
I have a 89 grand marquis with a 5.0 in it and AOD trans. Can parts for the mustang 5.0 (intake cams, ect.) be used on this motor? Is there PCM calibrations that need to be done? I bought the car for $100 and it needs a rebuild and I'm thinking of doing a performance build to later put the engine in a mustang.
1) the SFI intake you have is the same as the Mustang, just the top bolted on reversed, and the same injectors, etc.
2) the HO has the W firing order, determined by the camshaft... if you go this way, you can rewire the injector harness at the 10 pin connector in 10 minutes.
3) your engine does not have forged pistons like the HO.....
4) The Mustang was not mass air until 89 in all 50 states. Speed density is OK for medium power, the same Mustang computer A9L used in both speed density and mass air cars. Mustangs ran s-d for 3 years and there is lots of information about that out there. NO need to buy mass air.
5) the heads are less efficient than the HOs, but only slightly.
6) your engine is a roller cam engine
7) your distributor is the same
8) keep all the donor car wiring harness. It is perfect. Don't waste money on aftermarket stuff. There is only 3 main wires to hook to your next car anyhow.
9) wiring colors are sort of funky in Fords anyway. The fuelies I have converted don't usually match the wiring diagram colors anyway. I guess when they ran out of a certain color they just use what they have on hand.

There is much less difference between your GM and the Mustang than most people believe.

With cam, computer, exhaust headers, and you are already sort of close to an HO.

www.readershotrods.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fuelie mustang_tmp 3 small.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	7566  

Last edited by xntrik; 10-30-2005 at 09:02 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.