parts needed to make 700r4 work in 95 4x4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 01:43 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

parts needed to make 700r4 work in 95 4x4

Im switching over to carb with my new motor and when I talked to monster transmission they told me I was going to need a 700r4 because the ecm controls trans shift points. Does anyone know what adapter pieces im going to need to make the whole set up work? Truck is a 95 z-71 4x4

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Last photo:

What engine are you going to use for your project? If its a small block chevy than it will bolt right up. You will need the tv cable for sure but I don't know about what will be needed to connect the transfer case.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Morris update 9-28-2014
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

benshelton;

look at the shift linkage on the 1995 trans... it there a plastic housing there with electrical connector? If ; yes... then that will not be adaptable to the early non electronic trans. No place to bolt the MLPS onto the earlier case usuallly

A 700r4- 4L60 trans setup for 4x4 application will bolt in place of the 4L60E trans there if your truck is 1/2 ton truck. Poper hook up of the TV cable to the carb is a MUST for the 700r4 trans to operate

If you are removing the PCM , there will be more to work out for dash gauge operation
Old 11-27-2010, 08:55 PM

truck is 1/2 ton and i havent decided on motor yet, either 421 or 502, the original trans was a 4l70e. So with the right tv cable and throttle linkage, it will work perfectly? And will it bolt right up?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by benshelton383
truck is 1/2 ton and i havent decided on motor yet, either 421 or 502, the original trans was a 4l70e. So with the right tv cable and throttle linkage, it will work perfectly? And will it bolt right up?

Interesting, some one must have installed the 4L70e and I curious how that was determined it was a 4L70e.

Check the cooler line fittings at the trans case on the 700r4 and the trans in your truck.

If you are talking a 4L80e trans was original, then , every thing changes on the bolting a 700r4 - 4L60 into the truck
Old 11-27-2010, 10:21 PM

700r4 95 z71

hi ben,i build over 100 of these a year.it will work fine.as others have said get tv cable right.do yourself a huge favor and set the cable up with line pressure readings.it just takes a few minutes.speed sensor is on the t case so i think it will work,i dont think you need the p/n switch on the side anymore,line connections are the same.trans will need 1 12v wire run through brake switch and a manifold vacuum switch then to the trans.verry easy swap.my r+r guy might have something to add that i forgot so il check with him.im intending to get him to post this type info on my website in the next day or so.good luck
Old 11-28-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
Interesting, some one must have installed the 4L70e and I curious how that was determined it was a 4L70e.

Check the cooler line fittings at the trans case on the 700r4 and the trans in your truck.

If you are talking a 4L80e trans was original, then , every thing changes on the bolting a 700r4 - 4L60 into the truck
Its the original trans that came in the truck, 4l60e 1 piece case 4x4, truck is all original, the man I bought it from was the only owner and a good friend. I see typo sorry, 4l60e

So is it a fairly easy swap? I need to figure out this trans before I start ordering engine parts. Will it bolt up to a 454?
Old 11-28-2010, 04:29 PM

95 4x4

run this by me again.im still not sure what your doing.this is a 95 4x4 which was a 60e.its a carbed 454 now.are you asking if the 95 trans you have now will work with the 454 carbed engine or are you trying to use a trans of a different year?if this is the case yes it will bolt to the 454.you will have to rig the tps to the side of the carb.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70060EPRO
run this by me again.im still not sure what your doing.this is a 95 4x4 which was a 60e.its a carbed 454 now.are you asking if the 95 trans you have now will work with the 454 carbed engine or are you trying to use a trans of a different year?if this is the case yes it will bolt to the 454.you will have to rig the tps to the side of the carb.
You are correct about a different trans, dont have the motor yet, probably gonna be a 496. Going carb, and the trans (4l60e) is shot. So I talked with monster transmission and they said 700r4, just seeing if anyone did the swap and wanted more info such as fitment and adapter parts
Old 11-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You do not need an adapter.

This all bolts together.

The 700r4 is a poor choice for large CID engine you mention.

You need to watch the converter bolt pattern on the flywheel of the 496 engine. There is a large pattern converter and a slightly smaller pattern for the converter bolt up to the flywheel.

you need the smaller pattern on the 496 flywheel. Some of these flywheels are dual pattern with large 3 bolt pattern and smaller 3 bolt pattern for the converter..... , some flywheels / flex plate are not dual pattern.

Flex plate = flywheel here in Crosley speak .
Old 11-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
You do not need an adapter.

This all bolts together.

The 700r4 is a poor choice for large CID engine you mention.

You need to watch the converter bolt pattern on the flywheel of the 496 engine. There is a large pattern converter and a slightly smaller pattern for the converter bolt up to the flywheel.

you need the smaller pattern on the 496 flywheel. Some of these flywheels are dual pattern with large 3 bolt pattern and smaller 3 bolt pattern for the converter..... , some flywheels / flex plate are not dual pattern.

Flex plate = flywheel here in Crosley speak .
Thanks for the heads up, the ss model from monstertransmission is the one I was going to buy (suppose to hold 650 hp) but if you say I can have a better one for my application Im all ears. What do you recommend for my set up and 4x4?
Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 PM

95 trans

hi ben,the above is good advice on the flex plate.you can go either way as far as the 700r4 or the 60e.the e would require you to hook a tps to the carb and use the original coolant temp sensor.700 would be cable bracket and adapt for aftermarket carb,fused wire through brake switch and adjustable vac switch to manifold for converter lockup.one is about as much trouble as the other.if i didnt build transmissions id buy from p.a.t.c. the others online i know nothing about.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:14 PM

is that the company with the raptor 700 trans? Anybody on the forum run one? I know monster transmission is a reputable company, always on speed channel and youtube and got hundreds of positive reviews, but if there is a better company im all ears, better to do it right the first time than to stomp on it and the motor rev and you dont move
Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 PM

700r4

like i said i cant speak for any other company out there exept patc.to be honest my performance 700's and 60e's are a copy of don's.years ago when i built my first one i bought the level 3 raptor kit from him.my brother had bought a l3 from him and beat on it with a butler pontiac 461 roller engine and 4000 lb gto.thats why i decided to buy his kit and build my own.i couldnt afford a pre built unit at the time.he is the only one im aware of thats designed and built 6 pinion planetary sets for these units.600 ft lb is currently the max on these units as the input drum is the weakest link.the latest thing he's done now is a titaniuim input drum assembly good for 960 ft lbs.keep in mind hp isnt a good way to rate a transmission.a trans that survives well behind a 500hp small block could be destroyed quick behind a 500 hp big block with lots of low rpm torque.i would really look into what your buying when it comes to a 700 behind a big block.most dont make it.the 4l80 is the safe bet but it requires an expensive computer.good luck with this project.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM

Do they have a mechanical trans to suite my needs?

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.