Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Parts Supplier's & Their Value
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
Do you really believe that 90% of the auto parts business is DIY or did you mean 90% of the DIY don't have a clue...I would agree with the 90% not having a clue but I've been in the automotive aftermarket parts business and the majority of business is the actual repair shops...either Mechanical or Auto Body. Even the paint jobbers relied on the Body Shop trade for the majority of their business. Walk in, off the street traffic accounted for about 15% to 20% of a paint jobbers business.

I do understand what your saying though, the DIY traffic is often clueless about their own vehicle.

Ray
I've worked at 3 different auto parts stores 1 chain (advanced)
and 2 non chain. total and alied
all have shop accounts.. and advanced has a counter just for them. with people that are more than just clerks earning a paycheck..
that said.. yes 90% of the foot traffic is diy and 75% of those have no clue..
shops don't walk into the store.. they call or place order online to be delivered.. sign for it and thats that..
10% of the gross foot trafic will be us car guys or the techs working on side work at home..
I'd say 50% of the sales are brakes and DIY that refuse to pay 500+ for a shop to replace rotors and pads..
remember shops & techs don't set foot in the autoparts store 99% of the time, we go to them..