Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Parts Supplier's & Their Value
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
I've worked at 3 different auto parts stores 1 chain (advanced)
and 2 non chain. total and alied
all have shop accounts.. and advanced has a counter just for them. with people that are more than just clerks earning a paycheck..
that said.. yes 90% of the foot traffic is diy and 75% of those have no clue..
shops don't walk into the store.. they call or place order online to be delivered.. sign for it and thats that..
10% of the gross foot trafic will be us car guys or the techs working on side work at home..
I'd say 50% of the sales are brakes and DIY that refuse to pay 500+ for a shop to replace rotors and pads..
remember shops & techs don't set foot in the autoparts store 99% of the time, we go to them..
That's right, the repair shops usually have a designated person that goes to their shops, fill orders, collects cores and returns and it's that individual that goes to these repair shops that generates the lions share of a jobbers business. The repair shop also often orders by part numbers and it does make the life of the person billing the invoice and the picking the parts for delivery much easier. What I'm saying is that the salesman builds relationships with the repair shop and in many cases the repair shop buys product from the salesman more so than the jobber itself. If the outside salesperson didn't have communication skills and the skills to build relationships the parts supplier would be harder pressed to maintain market share.

I guess what I'm looking for when buying parts is to be treated with respect, I want that personal relationship with the guy behind the counter if I require delivery or if I pick up the parts myself. For me, it's that personal touch that assures me that I'm getting service, I know quality and I know prices. I want my parts supplier to treat me the way I treat my customers. I feel that when a jobber gets to know what their customers want, do what it takes to set them apart from the competition by offering knowledgeable friendly service, they will succeed and price, although important often becomes secondary when purchasing.

Ray