Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Parts Supplier's & Their Value
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
I buy some stuff from Summit because I know I'll get it fast and the price is reasonable (I ordered one part online on a Sunday night around 10:30pm, and it was on my porch the next afternoon when I got home from work - still don't know how they did that). When it comes to aftermarket streetrod stuff, I like a local shop (Old Dog Streetrods) where I can see and touch the parts (that I'm usually modifying anyway). They have a good amount on stock, most of the major brands, and expertise on-site (they have a shop behind the store that can do any/all of it). Speedway seems to have everything for buillding rods, at reasonable prices, and pretty fast shipping. Both Summit and Speedway have good catalogs and good on-line sites for ordering.
Bob, I think we're on the same page here, I do understand that Summit is offering quality parts at a reasonable price and delivered well within timelines expected, they fill a need. I also like the fact that you support your local speed/rod shop for the reasons you mentioned. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you have built a relationship with several people at "Old Dog Streetrods". If they employed people that didn't have the knowledge, didn't care about what you needed, and every time you walked in they treated you like you where just another guy in line waiting to buy parts, would you have even mentioned them, or if you did, would it be in the light that you did in your post.

Again, I want that personal relationship with my parts supplier, my gas station attendant, my Pharmacist..I just want to be treated with respect wherever I spend the money I worked hard for. I think we all deserve that. It's the times I call a service provider (and I know the larger the company the more difficult it seems to offer service with respect) like my cable, home phone, cell phone and internet provider, I am quickly running out of patience with the way they treat you from the non answering of phones when you call them with a problem, to how they respond to a problem. I've had a problem with my telephone land line lately and my service provider actually told me that they where to busy to look after me for the next few days because they where to busy with new customer installations in my area but would send someone 7 working days later between 1PM and 7PM and I should make sure someone was at my residence to let the technician in. Also, there would be a $75 service charge that would be added to my bill plus any additional equipment I might need. They own the equipment! To get this service appointment I spoke to 3 different people and was put on hold 4 different times, the total call took over 45 minutes, from my neighbors phone no less.

I know that this isn't an automotive supplier but, I'm sure that there are horror story's out there regarding them...I know I've lived a few.

Ray