Parts Supplier's & Their Value - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
I hear ya, but respect works BOTH WAYS.. and sad to say.. the car guy know it all, are down wright mean to counter help.. not only in person. then they take the b/s to forums and f/b,twitter and everything else..
the ALL.(well almost) forget they where not BORN with automotive knowlege.. they learned it over the years.. but somehow thing that 18y/o making min wage should know what they are looking for.. like it's knowlege they should be born with...!!

after they treat the newbe like dirt I go over to help the customer and have a ball.. just the other day I helped a know it all.. after he belittled the kid.. he wanted tune up parts for a 307. I asked what make.. he snapped just get parts for a 3o7... after looking out and not see'n an olds in the lot I got him tune up parts for a 307
he came back oh 90 minutes later and said I gave him the wrong parts..
I said back up. I asked you what make.. you blasted "just give me parts for a 307" well all those parts fit a chevy 307 v8
he barks but I have an olds, I said sir thats why we ask make!!!!!!!!!!
Another time a guy came in wanting a chevy long waterpump.. I asked him(interupting the other counter girl) if it was for his vette in lot..
yes it was, I said you'll want a short pump.. and went to go grab one.. to him yelling, I know what the f I need ,get me a long pump..
OK sir.. here ya go.. have a great day..
he returned 10 minutes after we closed, but I walked into supermarket to get whatever wife wanted me to pick up. and was headed to my car..
he's like , this pump is wrong.. I said no kidding.. well you sold me the wrong one.. I said no I didn't !!!!!!!!!!! I tried to sell you the correct one.. but what do I know.. he says well I need the "other" type..
I said fine comeback tomorrow am and it'll be waiting for you..
he was pissed, I said sorry the manager lives in milton(35miles away) and mostlikely is half way home.. I don't have keys..

car guys are the most arrogant bas tards to deal with , as they automaticly think parts guys are STUPID..
again not all.. but way to many..
I worked at a NAPA parts store for about a year on the counter, I was blown away at the vicious attacks that some of these customers would level on counter people. We all have stories, we had a woman who was actually pretty good on the counter. This guy from one of our accounts ordered up a bunch of tune up parts for a Ford truck and when they went out they were wrong, he called her a beach, an F-ing beach for sending the wrong parts. I hoped in my car and drove over, asking him to see the truck so I knew we were getting the right parts. He pointed to this Ford truck near by with the hood open and from where I was standing I could see that it was a Cleveland motor, I asked him what motor is that, a Cleveland or a Windsor and he said a Windsor and that my friend is why YOU ordered the wrong parts you don't know a Cleveland from a Windsor and told him he had better call up and apologize which he did reluctantly because he wasn't a real man.

I had a shop order a brake light switch and I asked him if it had cruise control and he almost exploded "WHAT THE F DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH A LIGHT SWITCH?" I calmly asked him, "What turns off the cruise when you step on the brake?" Duh duh duh yeah genius. Then you get the "I want a oil filter for a small block Chevy", "What is it in?" THEY ARE ALL THE SAME, I would explain that there are different oned and I just want to make sure I get you what you need and ask "Is it in a 4 wheel drive truck"? and have the guy get all Ped off "IT'S A SMALL BLOCK DUMMY".
It was amazing how rude they were to the parts guy like he is a blithering moron. You aren't asking these questions for fun. You know the parts people I deal with now are my pal, they have told my boss they love when I call them because I treat them as the equals they are, and they tell me things that happen to them at other shops that is mind blowing. How about one of the companies started asking for your name to be printed on the invoice next to your signature. The delivery guy said when I simply printed my name upon his request that I was the only one to do that, some refused to even do it! Amazing stuff, you just can't make up what real people do, well sort of real people.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Sure thing, PM's are welcome.

I also have a fairly extensive collection of PDF catalogs that I have uploaded to Skydrive.

The link is "read-only"
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I called my favorite parts jobber today. They answered the phone the usual way and I asked about longer tie rod for a rack and pinion set up I'm using....I didn't say who I was. I gave him the information on the rack, told him the length of the tie rod I needed and any spec's that might help him. Without any fluctuation or hesitation in the counter persons voice, his comment was, "Ray, that's gonna take a bit of time, I need to match parts up, what about the sleeve, do I have any leeway there". I told him how much leeway he had and he asked me if he could have about an hour on it. Because of this thread, I timed him...27 minutes later he called me back with 2 options that would work, prices, availability and Brands.

This is what I appreciate from not only my jobber, but the counter person as well. I called the manager back after I gave the parts person the order and thanked him for having staff like the man I talked to about my needs...he recognised my voice, was willing to look for something not readily available on his computer, asked if it was OK to take an hour, and called me back well within the agreed upon time frame. I asked the manager to pass my thank you onto the counter person...it just means more to the employee if a customer takes the time to call the manager and thank him...these guys get to many of the opposite calls for poor reasons. In my opinion this is the difference between somebody handing me a bag of parts and a guy that took the initiative to be able to hand me a bag of parts knowing that he had gone up and above what usually would be asked of a counter person.

To me that's value.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
66GMC (02-23-2013)

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.