Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Parts Supplier's & Their Value (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/parts-suppliers-their-value-229794.html)

69 widetrack 02-20-2013 01:33 PM

Parts Supplier's & Their Value

I'm sitting in my office, looking up information I need for a build I'm working on while I'm waiting for a phone call from one of the parts suppliers I elected to use for this particular build and got to thinking...what do people deem to be important when choosing a supplier and, with all the different supplier's out there with the same or similar product, what makes one supplier, in your mind, stand out from the other.

I've been on booth ends of the spectrum in regards to this topic and know what I tried to do to be successful. I'm interested in hearing what you all think makes the difference in a supplier.

Ray

delawarebill 02-20-2013 02:33 PM

suppliers

i've used summit several times, with no problems.. and others too with no problems.. i'm looking at a fair price (compare), good quality, and good delivery times.

69 widetrack 02-20-2013 03:02 PM

I agree, price is very important as is following through with on time delivery. For the most part, most larger company's will supply you with what it is that you ordered. What I do like about Summit is that when you are looking at a product that they have for sale, they tell you if it's in stock, if not when it will be and how long it will take to get it. I think Summit has done a good job with that "wondering if I'm going to get everything" feeling when the package arrives. As long as you know exactly what you want and you order by part number, with Summit you usually get it.

model-a 02-20-2013 03:38 PM

I for myself try to use this place in my town that's been there since I can remember. Just a old building nothing fancy,they still do machine work so years ago that's all we had. I know that things are not the same know but there still there,even got a charge account there. Cool place too got a couple of rocking chairs so you can sit around an shoot the bull,alot of that go's on there.

69 widetrack 02-20-2013 05:36 PM

You're so right "model-a", for me it's that personal touch that's important as well. This is something that's getting harder and harder to find today with computers, bar codes and we seem to need some kind of card for everything. When I look for a supplier (and the world has become a lot smaller) I look for that company that still answers the phone, I get a person that's knowledgeable about what I need and will go the one step up and above the competition to set themselves apart.

I like dealing with real people that call me by my first name, if I call and they don't have an answer immediately, they call back when they say they will.

As important as price is, there is nothing that replaces that genuine care, concern and that personal touch. This is something that seems to be getting lost in our busy electronic shuffle that we have going on now a days. I would sooner pay a little more and have that confidence that if something went wrong, I would be looked after.

Ray

302 Z28 02-20-2013 05:38 PM

For me of course its price and delivery time but what goes a long way in making up my mind is if the person on the other end is friendly and knowledgeable. I ordered most of the stuff for my 34 build from Speedway and Yogi's.

Vince

model-a 02-20-2013 06:30 PM

Yep when I come in they all hey Chris what's up,and you can even go behind the counter to look at parts and they still write down the part number on paper.

Valkyrie5.7 02-20-2013 06:49 PM

It depends on what I'm buying for what project. If it's just another piece of plastic junk replacement part for my beater, then it's going to be from rockauto or amazon or any place I can get the most inexpensive price with the best guarantee that it will arrive on time and undamaged. I don't like hedging bets on companies that have small geocities-looking websites that haven't been updated in years if I'm sending them my hard-earned hourly wages.

The only exception this rule is when I absolutely have to. Quad4rods.com has a pretty ancient website, but I'm also not going to be ordering a bellhousing adapter for a quad 4 from anyone else so you just gotta "roll the dice" and trust what others say about them. They can't help that they don't have the budget to have some fancy summit-looking website for their small line of niche products.

Now when it comes to something I'm restoring and care about: I have to see the part and touch it and examine it. If I'm bringing a part to compare it against, I want to be able to hold both. It's just my nature. If the guy behind the counter is rude or is aloof for any reason (usually because I'm young) then I'll take my business elsewhere.

gearheadslife 02-20-2013 06:55 PM

depends, sometimes, if many vendors are carry'n the same part.. it's price, + shipping. and that can be a biggie with so many on the west coast..
some it's return policy. year one, it's no questions asked.. only spec order parts are not... (aka their wheels)
some it's the only game in town..
I try to do local if I can.. but when I can get the same moog part for less than my employee discount at a parts store, by ordering from rock auto.. and the price difference is sometimes 80.00 difference..
local goes out the window..
sadly the tax and business climate in my area almost makes it imposable for a brick and mortar retailer to even be close in price.. and we're not talking a few bucks.. when the differance is 50-150+ you have to look elsewhere..

model-a 02-20-2013 06:56 PM

Your are right my friend,lots of times I will be working on the car on a sat or sun afternoon and I have to go to auto zone and needed a fan belt in a custom truck I said need a belt this long he had know idea what to do without a year model.

gearheadslife 02-20-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by model-a (Post 1648622)
Your are right my friend,lots of times I will be working on the car on a sat or sun afternoon and I have to go to auto zone and needed a fan belt in a custom truck I said need a belt this long he had know idea what to do without a year model.

thats just wrong.. the lenth of the belt is the part #
if it's a ribbed belt the # of ribs is the first number in the part #
you can walk in and tell them the # you want..

Valkyrie5.7 02-20-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by model-a (Post 1648622)

I know exactly what you're talking about. I gave up on this and found myself a good NAPA. You have to specifically find one with a grumpy old guy that knows how to flip through the paperbacks. Saved my butt when the autozone guys can't even find my vehicle in their little computer half the time. I wish I had a nickel for every time a counter jockey insisted my truck was a half ton.

model-a 02-20-2013 07:13 PM

Yep or they tell you that your truck is a V-6 not a four banger. I try to go to NAPA when I can but they close at 1:00 just when I need stuff.

69 widetrack 02-20-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 (Post 1648633)
I know exactly what you're talking about. I gave up on this and found myself a good NAPA. You have to specifically find one with a grumpy old guy that knows how to flip through the paperbacks. Saved my butt when the autozone guys can't even find my vehicle in their little computer half the time. I wish I had a nickel for every time a counter jockey insisted my truck was a half ton.

What your talking about is exactly what I mean, I hate going into a parts store for an air freshener and they ask me my engine size because the computer won't let them in the system without it.

I like the way you put it, "found myself a good NAPA"...NAPA's are all NAPA's, it's all about the people that make the difference and the sooner some of these company's understand that computer's are supposed to make our lives easier and not run them and start instilling more of a human factor in their business plan the better off we'll all be.

Ray

gearheadslife 02-20-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69 widetrack (Post 1648659)
What your talking about is exactly what I mean, I hate going into a parts store for an air freshener and they ask me my engine size because the computer won't let them in the system without it.

I like the way you put it, "found myself a good NAPA"...NAPA's are all NAPA's, it's all about the people that make the difference and the sooner some of these company's understand that computer's are supposed to make our lives easier and not run them and start instilling more of a human factor in their business plan the better off we'll all be.

Ray

not gonna happen, auto parts biz. is 90% DIY people with no clue..
hell some don't even know what car they are driving..
toyota, ok what model? model.. what you mean?? lol

the system is set up that way to limit, giving out the incorrect part.. as people (general public) don't have a clue of what they are driving..
us car guys have to just grin and deal with it. as we are 5% of their foot traffic..