Hot Rod Forum banner

Parts Washer Safety

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  weedy64 
#1 ·
I just got through cleaning out my parts washer (metal) and need to refill it with cleaning fluid. I can't use a water base because it would rust the tub. Is kerosene safe or is it dangerous with the electric motor powering the pump. I don't think there is ever a spark, but, the shop is in the basement under the house so I don't want to take any chances. How about half kero and half fuel oil? The parts washer says fuel oil is okay but I just don't know about kero.

Thanks in advance for any info or opinions.

#5 ·
Proper parts washer or ?

If the pump is a properly rated submersible parts cleaner pump then I don't think there is much to worry about. The washer should have a steel lid with a low melting point link in the support mechanism. If there is a fire you would close the lid to extinguish, and if you are not there the link melts and the lid should close closes by itself.

I use mineral spirits with a layer of water on the bottom, the evil bits in the solvent settle and are trapped in the water, it keeps your solvent cleaner longer. I like my parts to dry without an oily film so for me kerosene and the like is out. :)

Glenn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.