Parts Washer Solvent? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2004, 03:56 PM

Last journal entry: Transmission Table
Wiki Edits: 0

Parts Washer Solvent?

My dad found some lady that her husband died a year ago, so she is selling his stuff from his shop.

My dad bought their 4 post (drive on) for $500, and then he got me a like 24 x 36 Snap on parts washer for $75, and a vacuum pump for AC work for $10.

I am so excited! Lol, the simple things in life.

But anyways, what's the best solvent to use for parts cleaner? A place I used to work used a paint thinner and kerosene mix, but it didn't seem to work all that great. I talked to a buddy a year ago that was selling zep products, he said that they sell some stuff that is awesome. But I am hoping that maybe someone knows something for sure, or has a recipe for something good.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Just head to the local parts store. They sell it in 5 gal. or 1 gal. cans. Don't use the Kero / thinners. Not good for the body. Also keep some rubber gloves at the parts washer. Keeps the hands clean and the chemicals out. BTW..tell dad I'll give him $500 for the hoist Good find!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 04:25 PM

I'm thinking he needs to put the 4 post at my warehouse. I have 12,000 sq ft available to me He is going to keep it outside in his car port, which he hasn't poured the concrete for yet...

Maybe santa will bring me a lift courtesy of step-dad's business account, they need one to work on the work trucks, yeah, that's it.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:23 PM
Last photo:

Varsol is made by EXXON/Mobil and is an excellent solvent, pretty reasonably priced also. I do not know if it is flammable or not, but you should take that into consideration, if the parts washer is motorized.

Vince
Old 12-09-2004, 06:27 PM

I use mineral spirits in mine. I buy it in bulk,5 gallons at a time from local petroleum/pool supply.
Old 12-09-2004, 07:07 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you can find someplace to buy it, I would go with the varsol. That is what we used at the transmission shops that I used to work at. It is really strong, and doesn'd evaporate very fast. I don't believe that the fumes are flamable, because we used to smoke while working in it. It will dry out your skin real fast. It is great to clean dirty rags in also. It seems to me that it is the same stuff that they used to use as dry cleaning solvent.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

The dry cleanung solvent is the same as brakleen, evaporates very fast and is super expensive. Varsol will burn, but more like diesel fuel than gas, not a very volitile substance. If your washer is motorized, and is reasonably new (25yrs or so) you will have no problem with it, as it was designed to run with varsol type solvent. Record Chemical makes a "solvent" that is less expensive than brand name varsol, and is virtually identical. It is what I use in my shop, and most dealers use it here for the price cut, as well as most training facilities. (not nessicaraly(sp?) the recochem stuff, but any of the various jobber names out there). One tip, though. If you have a solvent spray gun and use it a bit, don't get the enviromentally friendly stuff. If you inhale the misted form of it while spraying, you can get hospitalized type sick, with lasting (maybe permanent) side effects. Nasty sh1t. Sure, save the enviroment, kill a gearhead? Typical non-logic!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:48 AM
Old enough to know better

I'm not sure what mine is. Local petroleum bulk plant just has a pump out with the others that says "SOLVENT" on it. 2 bucks a gallon, bring your own jug.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:00 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

I use mineral spirits.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Beenaway2long
I use mineral spirits.
me 2, mineral spirits cost more then paint thinner and I understand it leaves no residue and smells a lot less bad. Ed ke6bnl
Old 12-11-2004, 05:17 PM

Thanks guys!
Old 12-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Last photo:

I do not know what dry cleaners now use, but they used to use carbon tetrachloride which has since been banned. It is classified as a carcinogen and harmful to the ozone. The synthetic rubber unit I work on uses carbon tetrachloride as a solvent to dissolve polyethylene pellets. We had to get an exception from the EPA to keep using it and we only got that exception because we recover 98% of it.

On Varsol, it will dry your skin very fast. When I was working as a Ford mechanic I had a 5 gallon pail of it at my work bench. When I got a rear end to overhaul I used to dunk the parts in the bucket to clean them. I did not use gloves. That was almost 30 years ago, so far no adverse affects Wear chemical gloves.

Vince

Last edited by 302/Z28; 12-11-2004 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 03:56 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

What 302 stated...Wear chemical gloves. Also Varsol is flammable. On the MSDS sheet it specifies to keep from open flame or spark as it is a petroleum distillate. Here is the MSDS sheet on Varsol: http://www.daycon.com/MSDS%20Sheets/varsol%20msds.pdf Also here a site where you can get an MSDS sheet on a variety of things. http://www.daycon.com/ttoz.htm One might not think it important for the gloves, paint mask, etc but when you get a little oldder and different symptoms show up it makes you woonder if it had something to do with things you took for granted in your youth. Better safe than sorry. One other safety measure I would like to bring forth is kids and garages and chemicals. Almost everyone knows to keep chemicals out of reach of kids. Everyone really needs to (especially if you have real small children) keep the phone number of the nearest Poison Control Center ( You can get it here ) near the phone in the garage. Also it used to be the norm that if something was swallowed to give Ipecac to induce vomiting. That is not the case now. Sometimes it can actually do more damage to induce vomiting. So those with small children...keep the garage safe and think of them.

Last edited by Kevin45; 12-12-2004 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:33 PM
Old enough to know better

Don't forget about your pets either. My son left the back garage door open accidentally. A little later, I found one of the dogs dragging a quart can of paint remover around the yard. Lucky for us, it must not have tasted to good so he didn't chew it up.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:13 AM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

A little off topic but the carb cleaner (1 gallon can) sold at Advance Auto Parts is awesome. It isn't something I'd use in a parts washer but for carbs and other small parts the stuff is great.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.