Patch panel question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2008, 10:25 PM
Grease Monkey Wanabe

Last journal entry: ALL IS LOST!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Patch panel question

I was looking at the the fender patch panel I got from NPD and I noticed that the bottom was a little different. I'm a total beginner at body panels so this makes me a bit nervous. The areas I circled in the pic are recessed the patch panel isn't. They obviously need to be there as that is where the bottom of the fender bolts to the body. I'm not sure how to address this issue. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	patch.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	30347  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2008, 09:31 PM
Grease Monkey Wanabe

Last photo:

The lack of response here isn't comforting.
Is it a stupid question? If so let me have it. I can take it.
Is it just as simple as using a hammer and dolly?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if that is solid enough, cut it off, and cut off that section of the repair panal, flange both peices and weld it up. I don't know of any easy way to make that accuratly.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:37 PM

from the factory the panel are 1st stamped/flanged then the holes cut. What I've done on those r/r panels like that is made a soft wooden buck, knelled the metal with a neutral flame and metal worked in the flange using my rubber mallets and some hammer and dolly work with the buck then went back with a body saw and cut out the holes. That is if your going to do it right. Other option is to cut out what's left of that panel and weld it in. The panel is kinda nasty in the picture, plus you'll have fun doing it the right way because it will be a challenge for you. tip ( start on a scrap peice to make sure you made your buck right. Once it's done right, then beat away on your patch
Old 06-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Grease Monkey Wanabe

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by duallybuster
soft wooden buck, knelled the metal with a neutral flame and metal worked in the flange using my rubber mallets and some hammer and dolly work with the buck
"soft wooden buck"
Do you mean a reverse pattern of the recessed area with a void for the recess. Then heat the metal and hammer the metal against the void in the wood.

I apologize for my ignorance. I do have a little experience working sheet metal but not much and it was a long time ago.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:42 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

kencam,

If I am reading your Post correctly, you are concerned about the recesses that appear to be for bolting the Panel on, correct? If that is the case, I would use some Chipboard (or Construction Paper) and make a template from the old Part and transfer them to the new Part (using a stamped "character" line to have a reference point), then use either a 3" cutoff wheel/grinder or power hacksaw (body saw) and cut the recesses out, then smooth them with a Roloc Disc (36 or 50 Grit)-patience is the key here-

**edit**I think I see your problem now (please disregard the previous Post)-I think your choices are the Buck method or if you have access to a regular Press make a "die" and press them in-really though, it does look like ithe Metal may be doubled up in the forward bolt location-is the Panel just surface Rust on the other side? Sorry for the mix-up-

Last edited by 35WINDOW; 06-02-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Grease Monkey Wanabe

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35WINDOW
it does look like the Metal may be doubled up in the forward bolt location-is the Panel just surface Rust on the other side?
The panel is fully backed and is sandwiched across the bottom. I'm not sure yet about the extent of the rust on the inner panel.
I guess I'll make a form and try to recess those areas as per duallybuster (if I understand him correctly) What's the worst thing that could happen? The patch panels are cheap it won't kill me to ruin one or two.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:53 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

I've had some luck with making a pair of dies and pressing the detail in. The larger the span, the more force is needed, as well as a slight increase in deformaties. Small recesses can be done with simple dies used with a monster bench vice like the one I have.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:05 AM

yep, that's what I mean. My pop is an old carpenter where Im a bodyman, so he's alway makes my bucks for me. I've never really been all that intrested in wood so I've never really learned how to make them my self, but I've seen him in the shop with a router and some other tools and in a hour or so I've got what I need.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Last journal entry: An update
Last photo:

it's called a "hammer form" .
using HARDWOOD,make a reverse shape you can hammer a peice of sheet metal onto in the shape you want.
Before you start cutting anything ,go to this site and buy this book.you'll learn more than I can express here.
Metal shaping book by Fay Butler
But in the case of that panel you are asking a lot to be able to stretch the steel . I would make a copy of the indentation with another piece of steel first.

Get the copy perfect!!

The make a Template of the panel BEFORE you cut the new one!
make your template so it's the exact contour of the panel in at four directions and mark on the old panel where you got your template reference marks from. I make my templates from galvanized sheet. Cheap thin stuff is the best.
mark on the new panel where your reference marks are in relation to the old the panel.
I see in the journal it's a family car,so make the templates perfect because the other side will be the same i guess,and you want to do a good job by starting out as you mean to go on

Once you have the indented piece made and it's perfect,remove the metal from the new panel and tack the new piece in.
It will take a while,But slowly makes the job perfect,haste makes for a crap job and lots of bondo.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 PM
Grease Monkey Wanabe

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercmad63
I would make a copy of the indentation with another piece of steel first.
I was actually thinking of doing that on a flat piece of steel and then cutting it out and transferring it to the patch panel. I know that isn't exactly what you were suggesting but at this point it seems like the best way for someone with my limited skills to get it done.
I checked out Fay's site and watch all his videos. The guy is definitely a master at his craft. I admire people like that. I tend to be more of a jack of all trades. I'm good at lots of things but not spectacular at any.
I'd like to thank everyone who posted a reply. I feel much more confident than I did before. I'll post pics of my work in my journal. I'm hoping to start on the body work in a couple of weeks. I need to get the fenders done before I pull the front frame off. Between work and my 2 year old there isn't enough time in the day.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.