Patch panel replacement on frame or rotisserie? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2003, 08:24 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Patch panel replacement on frame or rotisserie?

Do you guys recommend replacing rusted areas with patch panels while the body is on the frame or can it be done on a rotisserie? I'm talking about a 1965 Chevelle which needs the following areas replaced due to rust:

Small area drivers side front floor.
Small area passengers side front floor.
small area drivers side rear floor.
All three trunk floor panels (left, center, right)
Lower quarter panels behind the wheel well.

Everything else, including the rocker panels are solid. I wouldn't even atempt it on a rotisserie if the rockers weren't solid, but they are. I would brace the door openings as well.

Keep in mind I'm not talking about filling and sanding the body smooth for paint, just panel replacement. It seems like it would be a much easier job on a rotisserie. What do you guys think? Anybody have any personnel experience?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2003, 09:08 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

Before even putting it up on the retiserie i would make SURE the mount points your using to hold up the body are real good.
The rotiserie I'm using mounts to the last two body mount holes on the back. They are in the trunk. And the first two which happen to be welded to the front floor and firewall for me.
For me I would have to weld the trunk first then make sure the front body mounts would hold while I welded the new floor in. Otherwise the front floor would be next.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:15 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

The small patches on the doors should not be a problem, as the doors have their own frames. The floor and quarter panels, I personally would feel beter doing while on the frame to avoid any problems due to the body being stressed differently. It may sit differently when on the frame because of where it mounts instead of where it is lifted by the rotiserie.

Just my opinion.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.