Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Patch panels and cutting?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2003, 04:10 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Unstable... the point that I was trying to get across is that by cutting the patch panel large enough to use lap joints, which is a stronger repair, you will not have the problems of trying to fill gaps when the patch is smaller than the hole you are trying to patch. I don't mean to put you down for asking the question, but quite frankly, if you knew what you were doing you wouldn't be asking. For someone that is experienced in this, a butt weld may work, although not as strong. For someone that is starting out, besides being a stronger joint, the lap joint allows some room for error. Even those of us that have been doing this type of thing for some time need that from time to time. Since there is no place on a car that sheetmetal is butt welded from the factory, that should give you some idea where I am coming from. If the factory could cut 1"-2" of metal from every joint by using butt joints without loosing the strength, don't you think they would? Think of how much they would save in a year. Food for thought. Do it however you want. It is your project. I just wanted you to have the information available in case you wanted it. When I started out the only way to learn was from the people around youor if lucky, from magazines. Usually the photos were useless, as were the directions. Good Luck.