Hot Rod Forum banner

Patching Rail Panel

629 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TheSilverHornet 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 1979 Formula Firebird that I am transforming into a 1of1 Firebird hotrod.

Now,I have a couple spots to patch up before getting to the fun stuff,like engine and paint. Nothing to serious,and most pretty simple with a quick 20 dollar bill+wire welder. But the biggest one (which still isn't a massive undertaking compared to some) is about a 6 inch oval rust hole in my lower,center tail panel.

I'm wondering which of the 3 options (that I could come up with) that you all would recommend.

1. Cut out,and replace with 1/4" sheet metal. Drawback, I'm new to body work (shaping and all that)

2. Firebird Central sells Tail panels whole. I buy one,cut out the matching section in the new one,and use that piece on my old one. (Seems like that easier/preferable,albiet, more costly route).

3. Buy said tail panel,but instead of using it to patch the old one,I remove the entire old panel,and install the entire new panel. Drawback,seems to be a little over the top,and difficult.

#2 seems to be my preferred option,but just wanted to hear opinions incase I'm forgetting any problems I could run into,and or save money,as that's never a bad thing.

I'll try to upload a picture tomorrow when I get off work.

Thanks,
-Shawn

See less See more
#3 ·
This is a '76 but is it just that part down at the bottom, in the middle?

If it is, you could do option #1 fairly easy but with 18 gauge sheetmetal or some metal off another car. Something of a similar thickness. I wouldn't get a new part to cut up just for a 6" hole. If it has some funny contours, post a pic. Something under the car like that would not have to be just perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.