Patriot Freedom Series heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 06:40 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Patriot Freedom Series heads

Hey Guys

Anyone had any experience with these heads??
http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot-Perfor...rentProductId=

Quality ?? Performace?? I am building a mild street motor for my 72 Celica. I was going to put the AFR 180s on it but know Im thinking maybe the AFRs are over kill for a mild street motor. Thought I would take the $700 i Would save if I bought patriots instead and spend it somewhere else. All I have so far is an assebled short block 350 030 over. Stock crank, pistons (flat tops), and rods (ARP rod bolts) has a Magnum 270 cam but thinking about upgrading to a XE series (274 prob)

Any input would be much appreciated.

Car craft just did a good article on these heads......and 7 others

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...t/viewall.html

Last edited by prostcelica; 07-24-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 PM

Last photo:

I have no experience with them, but from the test it looks like you would hard pressed to go wrong with the Patriot heads. The savings would pay for an upgrade to a roller cam!
Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 AM

Last photo:

Thats what I was thinking!! Just wanted to make sure there not total junk.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcelica View Post
Hey Guys

Anyone had any experience with these heads??
Patriot Performance 2169 Patriot Performance SB-Chevy Aluminum Freedom Series Heads

Quality ?? Performace?? I am building a mild street motor for my 72 Celica. I was going to put the AFR 180s on it but know Im thinking maybe the AFRs are over kill for a mild street motor. Thought I would take the $700 i Would save if I bought patriots instead and spend it somewhere else. All I have so far is an assebled short block 350 030 over. Stock crank, pistons (flat tops), and rods (ARP rod bolts) has a Magnum 270 cam but thinking about upgrading to a XE series (274 prob)

Any input would be much appreciated.

Car craft just did a good article on these heads......and 7 others

Eight Budget Small Block Chevy Heads Tested - Car Craft Magazine
Patriots are a decent head that has become better over time both in terms of power output and quality. We've used them on several builds recently and like the direction they are going in.

Bogie
Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Patriot cyl heads are decent, I know they use them on their crate motors and there are some other companies that use them on their crate motors as well. like mentioned ealier that the $700 savings could be used to upgrade to a hyd roller cam. with that upgrade you would be making more power than you would if you were to spend that money on the AFR heads with the cam you currently have. as with all heads, i suggest taking them to someone who knows what they are doing and having them "cleaned" up a bit, it can be well worth the extra money spent. since they are alm heads it shouldn't cost any more than around 400.00 for this. I always factor in some extra machine work cost when i'm searching for heads.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the input guys. Much apreciated.

Car craft says 420 hp and 417 ft #'s

What do you guys think that motor would do if they put a set of AFR 180 street eliminators on there with out changing anything else??
Old 07-25-2012, 05:34 PM

I think those numbers are a little generous, i would say closer to around 375-390hp/ 400tq. the AFR heads might get you another 10-15hp max. Like i said before, i would get the patriot heads, use the saved money on a roller cam set up (similar to the comp 274) and spend a few hundred more on cleaning the heads up, i could see that making around around 440hp/425tq
Old 07-25-2012, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

That sounds like a good plan. Thanks again my87z.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

If I do go the roller cam route should I put a solid in it??? or hyrdraulic roller??
Not sure if a solid on the street is a bad idea.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 AM

from what it sounds like you plain on driving this pretty much only on the street. I figure that you might take it to the track from time to time but not often. I also doesn't sound like you are tying to make 500hp out of this or trying to turn the motor upwards of 6500+rpm. So your best bet is a hyd roller cam.

i just took a look at what your compression is going to be with a set of 64cc heads and the flat tops (est 5cc valve reliefs) it will be about 10.35:1. this isn't bad and can support a bit more cam than the 270 or 274 cams that you are looking at. here are some cams that i would recomend:

for something mild here is a good cam:
Howards Cams 111145-10 - Howards Cams Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com
with this cam you could probably get away with a stock stall converter
this cam with those heads (with a little cleaning up) should make upwards of 415hp/410tq easily

for something a little more aggresive here is a good cam:
Howards Cams 110525-10 - Howards Cams Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com
this cam will require a higher stall converter and decent rear gears in the 3.73 range. this cam with those heads (with a little cleaning up) should make upwards of 425hp/415tq easily

and this would make a nice street/strip style cam:
Howards Cams 110635-10 - Howards Cams Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com
for this one i would recomend a 3000 stall and again atleast 3.73 rear gears, but i would probably go more for a set of 4.10's
then this cam with those heads (with a little cleaning up) should make upwards of 440hp/425tq easily

I believe that i'm a little conservitive with my power estimates, they could be a bit more than what i listed, but certainly shouldn't be less. but without the "cleaning" up of the heads i would say that you could take 3-5% off the numbers i listed. IMHO that is how much just a bit of work to the heads can give you.

I personally would recomend eithe the middle cam or the last cam, but i like things a little more aggressive.

you pair either of these cams up with a set of these lifters and make sure that you look into the manufactures recomending springs for the heads and you should be just fine:
Howards Cams 91164N - Howards Cams Street Series Retrofit Hydraulic Roller Lifters - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Old 07-26-2012, 11:51 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

If you're getting them reworked and swapping springs id just buy bare castings. It really doesn't make sense to buy an assembled head to take apart.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all that info my87Z. Im deffinatly thinking going the roller cam route after reading your post. Know im thinking about just biting the bullet and buying the AFR heads AND putiing a roller cam in it.

Would you also have the AFR heads "cleaned up" ?

AP72 makes a good point about buying them bare as well.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:29 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I wouldn't touch the AFR heads out of the box. If money matters at all, which it may not, id either buy a set of bare castings and do the work myself, OR buy heads from a head shop like spier or wolf. Both have a large selection and will install the springs you ask for. Their cost really isn't too bad when you compare it to what you're thinking of doing.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

It crossed my mined to port and polish myself but ive never done it before. I would really like to do it myself but would be worried about messing them up. I am a welder by trade and did a stint in a restoration shop so im not a green horn on a die grinder by any means but im sure there are technics that are required to improve flow and not hurt it.

Whats wrong with using AFR right out of the box??
Old 07-26-2012, 02:02 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcelica View Post
It crossed my mined to port and polish myself but ive never done it before. I would really like to do it myself but would be worried about messing them up. I am a welder by trade and did a stint in a restoration shop so im not a green horn on a die grinder by any means but im sure there are technics that are required to improve flow and not hurt it.

Whats wrong with using AFR right out of the box??
I meant leave them as is out of the box. Not that they're bad. They usually have good finish and assembly.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.