Patriot Headers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Patriot Headers

Anybody tried Patriot headers? The price is in my range and they are ceramic coated and are supposed to be a lifetime guarantee. It kinda worries me that they are only 18 gauge and 5/16 flanges though. Any suggestion? The Sanderson headers are just SO expensive! In canada they will cost me $550 plus tax!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,091 Times in 902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1tyrell
It kinda worries me that they are only 18 gauge and 5/16 flanges though.
Yeah, it would worry me too. You get what you pay for.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

I bought Patriot sprint style roadster headers for my "T" bucket. They fit great. No problem with the flanges even tho very little bracing at the collector/muffler and are totally exposed to elements.

BAD part. I made the mistake of getting chrome plated headers. While they did look great during the summer. Minimal bluing and cleaned up with little effort and a bottle of spray wax.

I stored the car in a semi-open shed thru the winter. The chrome literally fell off the tubes and rusted heavily in the inaccessible areas. I had cleaned everything in the fall and coated the pipes in spray wax.

Maybe the coated pipes will not have the problem.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:15 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I paid over $400 for jet hot coated Hooker headers for my cutlass. Within a week you could see the rust coming through the surface of the finish. Needless to say, the engine build was a bust due to a major mistake my machinist made that I didn`t catch, so the headers only have 2000 miles on them and you can still see the rust bleeding through the finish with no way to get it out.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:43 AM

Last photo:

I had a set but they wouldn't fit my application...my fault. They were made very well and the welding inside the ports was MUCH nicer than my Sandersons. If you can use the "Tight Tuck" model which is basically a block hugger they have a couple made with 16 ga. tubing and 3/8 flanges. See www.Pertonics.com then hit Patriot headers for the modle number.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:05 AM
More for Less Racer

327Nut, your link is misspelled, no worky - always check them after you post them.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1tyrell
Anybody tried Patriot headers? The price is in my range and they are ceramic coated and are supposed to be a lifetime guarantee. It kinda worries me that they are only 18 gauge and 5/16 flanges though. Any suggestion? The Sanderson headers are just SO expensive! In canada they will cost me $550 plus tax!
Confused as to were you got the lifetime guarantee from. I took this off the patriot site "All Patriot exhaust products are guaranteed, to the original purchaser, to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for one year." Is it your dealer giving the lifetime guarantee?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 PM

Last photo:

Even Jet Hots warrenty is very specific about cleaning and care. If the headers are overheated(like during cam breakin), the coating will fail. Oils and other fluids will attack the coatings, causing rust and adhesion problems.

these coatings can work really well, but they are definitely not an install and forget item, it requires regular maintenance
Old 08-25-2009, 03:22 PM

I installed some sanderson headers in a 69' Camaro with 396 and they were the worst set of expensive headers I ever worked with.

The drivers side collector pointed right at the frame and required a 90 degree bend to route the exhaust towards the back of the car, the flanges hit the head bolts, They were waaay too close to everything under the hood. Took me like 14 hours to install them & the exhaust including removing the old original parts.

I say give them a try....I'd go for stainless if you can find them...Best deal overall but those cheap headers are so thin that they dont sound as good as the real deal. Thin headers to me always sound like they have a exhaust leak (tinny). Also throw the gaskets in the garbage when you get them and use RTV Silicone to seal the headers to the block. It saves alot of headaches.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

Ya I was wrong about the warranty but I bit the bullet and ordered the sanderson headers. I sure hope they work properly! How hard can it be to make a good set of block huggers? RTV works well for sealing against aluminum to?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:51 PM

Sealing Heads to Headers. Use a gasket that cannot "blow out." That's why copper gaskets are so popular in spite of their price. Use header bolts that cannot unthread. I use Stage 8s. You might want to try them, or use cross-drilled heads on a more traditional header bolt. Use lockwire with the cross drilled heads. About the Stage 8s. They are very expensive. But when I needed longer bolts, I just called, they had me send the too-short bolts, and the longer ones magically appeared in the mailbox. When I lost some locking elements, they charged little or nothing to send me a few. Great customer service.

Pat
Old 08-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Most good aluminum heads have steel heli-coil inserts in the exhaust bolt holes.
I have never had a issue with a header bolt coming loose while using RTV as the gasket, But when I did use the gasket they came loose all the time.

DONT WASTE your money on copper exhaust gaskets. Just use the Aluminum RTV from Valco or the Copper from Permatex. It doesnt matter if the heads are Aluminum or cast iron.

The stage-eight bolts are not cheap. If you use RTV as the gasket the headers sits basically right on the head except for the thin coating between. The joint is much less likely to move at all and there is no gasket to expand and contract. plus the weight of the header and exhaust is supported better. With the gasket in-between it just requires the bolts to hang out further and then there is more flexing and movement going on and BAM then it leaks.

The dead soft aluminum exhaust gaskets are a even bigger joke....Autozone sells then right next to the locking bolts....Talk about a flexy joint and leaks....I'm not saying locking bolts are bad...Just not really needed.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM

With all due respect to Montebrian, I recommend you DO "waste" your money on high-quality copper gaskets and mechanically secured header bolts. A difference of experiences, a difference of opinion. Whatever you choose, best of luck.

Pat
Old 08-26-2009, 04:00 PM

I have plenty of experience....On the 4 cars I own, and on the dozens of cars I have built exhaust systems for.

I do mandrel exhaust systems for friends and friends of friends.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 PM

I give up.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.