Patriot Vortec heads Any good? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 05:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Patriot Vortec heads Any good?

Looking on Ebay I found Vortec heads made by Patriot.Price is excelent 2.02 1.6 valves screw in studs 180 runners will fit old stlye and vortec manafolds.Looks like Jegs sells them.Does any body know anything about these ? Or have any opinions?Do you think they would work on a goowrench motor If you swapped cams as a strong street car?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 05:55 PM

Golen Engines uses them and they have a decent reputation.

I've heard the spectrum on Patriot. The people who trash them seem to be leghumpers for another brand of Golden Heads so I put little weight in it. They sell lots of stuff, lots of people using their springs, they make their own valves, they're a fairly large company.

So, I wouldn't be afraid to use them.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Last photo:

Maybe they have some preferred customers because the three sets of heads I've seen from Patriot were nothing more than pretty boat anchors.

Get a set of GM Bowtie Vortec castings and take advantage of good r&d, machine work and parts. RHS, Dart, and Edelbrock all have good castings as well.

Larry
Old 12-23-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldknock
Maybe they have some preferred customers because the three sets of heads I've seen from Patriot were nothing more than pretty boat anchors.

Get a set of GM Bowtie Vortec castings and take advantage of good r&d, machine work and parts. RHS, Dart, and Edelbrock all have good castings as well.

Larry
Good to know about Patriot. Thanks. Piling up the pros and cons as I hear them.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Probably like most things in life. If a company makes mostly bad parts, a few good ones will get through. If it makes mostly good parts, a few bad ones will get through.

Never used them, but have heard stories of improper finish machining and porous castings. Caveat Emptor.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

How bout you buy a pair and tell us how they are?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:02 AM

Last photo:

patriot heads

Well i guess it depends on wat your comparing them to... They aren't compararable with AFR or any other CNC'd heads by no means, but they are a very good product for the money. I personally just bought a set or the standard patriots (non vortec) for my 355 they are 190cc/68cc chamber, and I LOVE THEM. I can't say if thier better then, RHS, eddy ETEC's, darts etc.... But mine were 300 bucks cheaper than any of those!!!
YOU WILL NOT FIND A BETTER NEW SET IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE!!!! Don't go pro-comp or flotek or none of that chinese crap. These heads are quality american made products.
EXAMPLE:
I don't have any track time with the new heads on my motor, But I can tell you that just by the seat of your pants feel... It feels like my car gained 60+ HP compared to the old 882's that were on it. I am runnin them on a 355 SBC, Lunati bracket master II 300/300 246/246@.050" 515/515 lift, KB119 dome pistons, stock crank and rods, wieand exelerator 7546 high rise single plane intake, holley 3310 750cfm HP VS (#4 PV lightest yellow diaphram spring made) Accell HEI hypertec street/strip 65K cap and coil, mallory sidewinder wires, and the above mentioned patriot heads. TH400 stage 2 kit 3500 stall, JUNK 308 GEAR. 3800lb cutlass, 24" tall drag radials, air shocks with the passenger side jacked up all the way, 20psi in tires

My best friend has an S-10 with a 355 f/t pistons, eddy rpm cam, brodix IK180's, air gap intake eddy performer 750 carb, low pro drag radials on 18" rims atleast 275's, but I think wider..... AND HE HAS A AIR LOCKER REAR WITH 456'S!!!!!! TH350 3000 stall

We have a 1/4 mile stretch of HWY marked that we test run on and I'll admit he got me outta the hole, but I got him by atleast 7 cars on the big end....

There's my 2 cents for what its worth...... They stood up to the IK's

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.