PaulsChrome? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2006, 02:17 PM

Last journal entry: 63 split window Corvette RESTOROD
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

PaulsChrome?

Anyone have any good or bad experience with Pauls Chrome out of Penn? I am trying to get a chrome plater in place and need to know if this is ok or not.......

Pauls Chrome Plating
724-538-3367
www.paulschrome.com

let me know......Herb

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2006, 02:53 PM

Paul's Chrome

Herb, he has been at the Hershey swapmeet for many years, he has a 33-4 ford grille thats rough and near perfect to show what he can do. Seems like a good guy although i have not had any work done. tt
Old 10-31-2006, 03:11 PM

Last journal entry: 63 split window Corvette RESTOROD
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoaly
Herb, he has been at the Hershey swapmeet for many years, he has a 33-4 ford grille thats rough and near perfect to show what he can do. Seems like a good guy although i have not had any work done. tt
thanks for the comments....I am getting good comments on his work from the guys over at Corvette Forum as well as Corvette Action Center. I thought I would double check here. With the time schedule I am trying to make, there is no room for misses or bad quality. I am shooting to have the car back on the road in time for the Hot Rod Tour in June, meaning I need it running and sort out any remaining bugs in May.....given that the body just got to the body shop, this is going to be tight. They have started it, but I am waiting for some replacement glass pieces to show up.

Here is what has been done so far in getting ready....

Front end is a mess, we are pulling a lot of the front off and replacing with new, see sketch below for all that is being replaced

Here is my new intake...it is stuck right now in UPS land, but should have it in the next day or so....the stacks were bent on the original shipment and new ones are on the way.....this is going to sit on a 383 stroker

As you can see EVERYTHING was polished.....

Here is the car prior to having the paint taken off during one of the check fits that I did. the body was on and off that frame many times checking for clearances and fit.

Car will be painted Corvette Torch Red with white coves and a mod red interior (like C5 Z06).
Old 11-02-2006, 06:16 AM

I have used Pauls Chrome.

For $1000 I had several impossible to find parts converted into useless, but pretty parts. My top irons were decent with minimal pitting and I basically told them I would pay for hand sanding to maintain the squarness of the original in my 8 pages of notes on how the parts should look and which part need to fit together when done. My top irons came back looking like a sword the edges were ground down so far. They only shrunk 1/8" at the edges. The top hinges I so carefully explained how they should fit together did not fit together.

They were nice on the phone and took the parts back and 'fixed' them. The top hinges still did not fit together. I sent them a spare set, as the first set were beyond repair.

The problem is most all plating place want to make your parts look pretty, they do decorative plating. Pretty and correct functional are not always the same animal. You need to have a long talk with the plater to see if they can handle your needs.

I plan on taking the rest of my plating to Frankford Plating in Philadelphia. I stopped by and visited them. They were confident enough in their work that they grabbed random items off their shelves and let me inspect them. One item I looked at was an early vette trim part. It was clear they were maintaining the thickness of the part and keeping the original lines. I was impressed enough I feel that I can give them my business.

There are other shops out there that do good work and none will be cheap. All, except Frankford, of the plating companies at Hershey I would not trust with my parts. I am working on an original Model A and none of the platers were aware of some basic facts of model A plating that are found on the prints for the parts. None were interested in trying to do the A parts in the factory process. One plater told me to go away and not bother him because he would not even consider accepting my parts. That was after one basic question asking if he had a certain type of nickel plate bath. There was another plater from the GA area that was not at Hershey this year (or I did not notice him) that I would consider sending parts to also. He was interested in knowing and understanding the processes and stated he looked to keep the parts functional.

Sorry to be so long winded on plating. Too many people get screwed sending parts out for plating and I am trying to quickly relate what I have experienced.

Here is my Model A Plating Notes that relate to correctly plating on original Model A.

One final note, in some cases translating your instructions in to spanish may help as some shops reduce costs with laborers from the south.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:26 AM

Last photo:

I've had some very nice work done at Advance Plating.
Bob
Old 11-02-2006, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in NJ
There was another plater from the GA area that was not at Hershey this year (or I did not notice him) that I would consider sending parts to also.
Who, may I ask, is the plater in the GA. area?

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.