Hot Rod Forum banner

PBM Thunder heads

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Plaintoast 
#1 ·
I know I've seen some people questioning if these heads are any good, who makes them, where to get them, etc. so I thought I try to shed a little light on the subject.
1st. They are available through PBM-Erson, otherwise known as Engine Parts Warehouse. I'm not quite sure how it works, I see they list them on their website, but I know they don't sell to private parties, only machine shops through the contacts I use.
2nd. They are built by Dart, not chinese knock offs. For some reason it seems people think PBM is selling cheap (quality wise) parts, but the heads I just got are Darts, the crank and rods are Scat (relabeled as PBM), their line of forged pistons are Mahle. Everything I have purchased has been first rate stuff.
3rd. I guess I'm sounding like a commercial for PBM/EPW which is not my intent. My only affiliation with them is I buy and use many of their parts in my shop.
4. I just put together a 350 using these heads (the vortec version), the above mentioned rods, some speed pro hyper pistons, roller cam, Pro products intake, etc. and just dynoed it this morning. Using a 770 holley, pretty mild cam (can idle pretty nicely at 750 RPM's) this motor pulled over 400/400 and the torque curve from 2800 up is over 400. It runs out of steam at about 5200 but that is fine, this is going into a street driven car, running pump gas only (9.6:1 compression).

If you have a chance to pick up a set of these heads, I'd highly recommend them. They have bigger chambers than a stock vortec heads, around 69-70 CCs out of the box, so you should be able to keep a reasonable compression even with a 383 or 400.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes I do. Casting numbers, casting ID's, stampings, and directly talking to the saleswoman I deal with at the warehouse.
The reason I called and asked in the first place was the similarities I noticed between them and a set of Wissota Spec dart heads I did not long ago. Called and confirmed it with them.

#5 ·
That pump gas motor I did made unreal torque, flatline from 2800-5200, with a mild cam. This car will be a ball to drive (gen 3 firebird), and have working power brakes and everything else.
One thing that surprised me on the dyno was this combo wanted more intake and more carb. We jetted up, changed springs on the secondaries and went up to a 2" carb spacer with the 770 street avenger. I would have preferred a taller intake to start with but was limited by hood clearance on this car. If someone else were to build one and had room, they'd be able to make more power with something like a performer RPM. I'd have really been interested to see what it would have done with a tall single plane but didn't have one on hand with the vortec bolt pattern.

#7 ·
406 ss monte said:
i have never received anything from PBM that wasn't good. PBM brand springs, retainers, keepers, studs, gasket kits, timing chains, rods, have all been great. i wouldn't be afraid of anything they sell.
I agree, and to add a little, their pushrods, crank kits, piston rings, and all of the above you listed, I have used and had great luck with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.