PCV problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2006, 02:31 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

PCV problems

on my old chevy 350 i ran a pcv valve to the vacuum on the carb, and it was sucking up some oil and was burning it. i took it off and i was wondering what to do, because as of right now it has two different size holes in valve covers (stock late model black valve covers, u know what im talking about). any opinions would be nice!Should i run a pcv valve or breathers?

by the way im Markus Smith, i'm 18, have a 81 scotsdale chevy pickup, it has a 350 bored .060 over, Dart Vortec modified heads ,292 single pattern cam (.488,234@.050) single plane intake manifold, 500cfm demon carb(no choke), summit slugs and rings,stock converter, th350c with shift kit, 12-bolt rearend,as my daily driver(when its not cold )

me and my old man built it, nice to meet yall

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2006, 04:53 PM

The stock 350 has the PCV valve on the driver's side in the front, and the oil fill cap on the back on the driver's side. There is one hole in the valve cover on the passenger side, which will have a hose running up to the air cleaner (or an aftermarket breather cap).

The PCV and breather holes in the valve covers should be baffled underneath so you don't splash oil up into the hoses, and there is a rubber grommet. The oil fill cap hole does not have a grommet, but should use a fill cap that turns about 1/2 turn to lock in place.

Bruce
Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 PM

the drivers side is the opposite of what u said, putting oil in the motor would be a hassle if it where close to the back, The valve covers i used has a built in baffle in them by , its just that its was sucking, not splashing, oil into the motor

just cause im 18 doesnt mean i dont know **** about motors man

i just want to know what constitutes using a breather, and what constitutes runing a pcv valve?

Last edited by mynuffinfutsitch; 12-13-2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:33 PM
Some Punk Kid

Last photo:

I dont think he was insulting your intelligence because your 18. He answered your question very well. 1 PCV valve, One breather, and an oil filler. Or you can have covers like mine that only have PCV and breather and nothing else. Run one of each. PCV is small size grommet and breather will go in bigger grommet. Cant switch em cause they wont fit.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:58 PM

Last photo:

Welcome to the board!

Personally, I think the PCV valve is the best way to run.

I've been fighting high oil consumption on my new engine. I'm using the tall Proform covers. Come to find out, the PCV valve was sitting directly on the baffle in the drivers side cover and sucking oil up at a good rate. I tried NOT running a PCV to prove my point and my oil usage dropped dramatically BUT I noticed I had condensation, and LOTS of it in the vent hose from the other cover to the air cleaner. My compromise was to put 2 large "0" rings on the PCV to space it up off the baffle plate. Am watching it now to see if I start using more oil or not.

I also don't have a conventional filler cap. I just pull the PCV and install a long skinny trans funnel in the gromment and fill er'up! Works fine.

Mark
Old 12-13-2006, 10:26 PM

I got the covers with only one small hole in each too. I put the PCV valve on the passenger side 'cause it's closer to the port on my Holley and siliconed the grommet on the other side to the bottom of a K&N breather. It comes out easy for oil fills with a skinny funnel.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:12 AM

The reason I explained the stock setup for that vintage of 350 is to let you know how it worked from the factory. That provides a good starting point for any changes you make. By the way, the stock oil filler on the back of the driver's side valve cover "is" hard to reach, especially on a 4WD truck.

You can use different valve covers and a different setup for PCV and breather, but that usually means you have to adjust a few other things to compensate.

For example, on my own 350 I'm using an Edelbrock 1406 carburetor. I then had to switch to an Edelbrock air cleaner (or use a spacer) to clear the electric choke, which meant the stock breather hose had to be connected to the new air cleaner. The connector for the hose is on the bottom of the new air cleaner, which meant I needed a longer rubber breather hose to get enough bend radius to loop back to the valve cover. My Edelbrock 1406 also does not have a connector for a line to the vapor canister, which meant I had to tie into the PCV line to pull vapor out of the canister. Every time I deviate from stock, it leads to a few other adjustments.

Bruce
Old 12-14-2006, 08:18 PM

thanks for all the replys, i will probably run a breather and PCV (to the air cleaner instead of the vacuum into the carb)

the engine im running is a newer 1 piece rear main seal, with the center bolt valve covers
Old 12-14-2006, 08:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynuffinfutsitch
thanks for all the replys, i will probably run a breather and PCV (to the air cleaner instead of the vacuum into the carb)
Are you talking about running the breather to the air cleaner or the PCV to the air cleaner? The PCV needs to be plugged into the PCV pipe on the carb to work correctly.

Can you swap the valve covers side to side so the oil filler cap would be on the pass side front? Seems that is how my 3 Chevies are set up.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:01 PM

i had the pcv valve to the carb and it would suck oil into the motor and burn oil

the pcv and oil fill cap are on one side (drivers)

its one of the newer type valve covers, came off a 92 chevy i think,

and (the way it was set up from the factory)the one on the drivers side would go into the throttle body, while the passenger would go around a ring between the throttle body and the air cleaner

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.