Hot Rod Forum banner

PCV systems???

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  docvette 
#1 ·
I have done a search and found a few threads on this topic but none that answer my question, I have valve covers with no baffles in them and at high RPM's it pulls oil and smokes like 2 stroke, can I just use two breathers in each valve cover and do away with the vacuum or do I have to use the pcv system ,, I really dont want to weld on the insids of these covers so what are my options, none,,, either weld baffles in them or get another set , these are the aluminum welded type from performance racining with only one hole for the pcv valve on the driver side, the other has no hole so if I cut a hole in the passenger side and put a breather do you think that would help or with no baffle I would still get oil in the pcv valve,, I read about Mr gasket's plugs with a built in baffle ,, is this an option or because I have no breather on the other side do I need to do something anyway,,
Any help is appreciated, I just bought this car and have never had this problem with any low horse motors I have built so I am new to 450 horse,,My 275 horse has a breather and a pcv on the driver side and seems to work fie,,
Thanks
Dan

#2 ·
Dan,

You have top have air into and out of the engine.

Even before PCVs, engines had a road draft tube that expelled fumes into the environment and usually some type of intake breather in the oil filler cap.

I don't understand. With only one hole for a PCV, where do you add oil?

#3 ·
RE

You know, that is a D#$% good question, I just bought this car a few weeks ago and have been so busy on other things I haven't even looked, I do know it has tall aluminum covers from some racing shop on it and the driverside has the PCVin it and thats all the holes I have seen, I will look at that when I get home,,
Thanks
Dan

#4 ·
Pressure

Doc here::pimp:

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

If you only have ONE hole, you've found the problem...

Overpressure in the crankcase.

Get another set of Valve covers WITH oil fillers & Baffles on BOTH sides, put a grommet in one for the PCV and a Positive Vented cap in the other..

Pressure ,air must PASS through the Crankcase, or else it will just suck down on a tight sealed crankcase, oil will get sucked into the induction system.

If you find you have a filler, Check the cap to be sure it is a breather type of cap..

And if you find you still need a baffle for the PCV, get an old cover with a baffle in it, Grind or drill off the spot welds, and check to be sure it won't hit anything on the Rocker area, when installed, then JB Weld it to the inside of the new cover.

Use a good layer of JB, but I'd be more Comfortable with 2 or 4 TIG spots than the JB Weld. (you should be able to quench the cover with water while welding to avoid burns in the chrome.)Maybe tack it close to the filler opening, so if it does discolor , the grommet should hide it.

Happy Holidays!
Hope it helps!

Doc :pimp:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.